what's the deal with southdown playsand?

eeldarb21

Everyone is talking about southdown playsand and i would like to know where to obtain it... does anyone know of a retail place that sells it? could this one place be stupid enough to not sell it to fish stores nationwide!? massive busniess..!!! I move we as a chat board should get a hold of this place and see about getting some next to all of us...! what do you think? does anyone know where to get some here in southern california?

david s

southdown is availible in home depot on the east coast i am pretty sure it comes from a dist from fla you may be able to talk to your hd and see if they can get you some

cboyfan2020

good luck on getting it in california! I have seen maybe 2 threads(one recently in the classified forum) where SD has been brought to cali. You have to get your HD to order it from a HD who has it first. Then you have to at LEAST buy a whole pallet whcih many people can go in on since this is usually how it gets done. I live in Kansas and my HD laughed at me(literally). It would take an act of god to bring SD to the west coast but occasionally it has been done. Good luck cuz you will need it!!:D

entice59

No luck in san francisco. Its usually in the eastcoast, you might want to call the stores before wasting your gas going there.

doodle1800

Maybe we can bypass HD. I'll look at one of my bags this weekend and see if we can get any info. Shipping will be an issue though.
Might be a business opportunity here?

nas19320

I saw on another marine fish board that someone ordered 15 bags to be delivered to Home depot and is looking for people to join in the order. It is a home depot in Colma, Calif. I don't know how close that is to you but if you leave your email I can send the site I saw it on.

I've written posts on this very subject.
The distributer is based out of Easton PA. I live about 40 min. from there and have met with their representitives many times. The issue lies in HD not wanting to pay their shipping price. I also approached ***** and Petsmart about working on having them move the stuff out west as well. -No luck-
I'm really intent on trying to get this stuff out to my fellow hobbyists on the west coast just because it seems so ideal for our use. My next step is trying to work with FedEx or UPS to fix a rate for shipping the stuff across country. I know some LR dealers do it, but I haven't even been able to get an audience with them.
I'll keep everyone posted! <pardon the pun>

broncofish

Originally posted by Nas19320
I saw on another marine fish board that someone ordered 15 bags to be delivered to Home depot and is looking for people to join in the order. It is a home depot in Colma, Calif. I don't know how close that is to you but if you leave your email I can send the site I saw it on.

brian.hilscher@travis.af.mil It would be a life saver, well more of a money saver. For all you nor cal people Colma is just south of daily city.

sal t. nutz

Back when I was looking for SD, I called them the packing plant in PA directly. They won't sell it to you from them, you have to buy at HD or at ACE packaged under the name Yardright. ANd the only ones that sell it are in the northeast. I got lucky, there is a hold facility here in Jacksonville where they store it while it's on it's way to PA from the islands. I wnet there and bagged it myself from a HUGE mountain of it and they charged me $5 for 700 LBS.

aftrhrs

$5 for 700lbs ??? That has got to be one of the deals of the century right there. When I set up a 265 I want to go the sand route but I need to find it first. HD sells what they call playsand but I looked all over the clear plastic bag and didn't see yardright or southdown on it. It's cleaned, filtered and dried. That all it says and it's like $2 for 50lbs.

chem-e

Nas19320-Can I get some info on that SD in Colma?
I was able to get a few bags from someone in San Ramon, CA. I'm not sure if he still has anymore though, but if anyone wants the details, email me. I can probably dig up his email address if needed.
klblau@hotmail.com

jarvis

I would think that any fine grain silica sand would work well. It just seems that southdown is just heard so much in the hobbie that people think that it has to be south down sand and nothing else. As long as it isn't the sand that you would use for a sand box with big chunks it should be fine. I decided against driving to the ends of the earth to find southdown sand and settled with what I could find (white package black writing sold at menards). No ill effects.

entice59

Originally posted by broncofish
For all you nor cal people Colma is just south of daily city.

Man its only a 15 minute drive from where i am! Do you know when they are going to get their shipment?
Alright, is it possibile to put it in to established tanks? without any adverse effects?

broncofish

Entice send that guy an e-mail,and he will link you to that other board. The other board has the guy who is actually ordering the southdown. It's going to a hd in the bay area. He will give you the phone number of the HD's then he wants everyone to call and talk to the manager that way he waves the shipping charge, and it will only cost 4.98 a bag.

fishtails

Why not just buy a bag of sand or gravel from the lfs or on-line instead of going through all of the trouble of obtaining SD sand unless you can find it locally? Seems to me you'd be spending more and taking more time trying to accqire some of this stuff.

entice59

Originally posted by broncofish
Entice send that guy an e-mail,and he will link you to that other board. The other board has the guy who is actually ordering the southdown. It's going to a hd in the bay area. He will give you the phone number of the HD's then he wants everyone to call and talk to the manager that way he waves the shipping charge, and it will only cost 4.98 a bag.

just sent. hopefully he'll reply
thanks broncofish