Whats the most difficult fish to keep?

phixer

I've always heard Moorish Idols but was curious if they are indeed the most difficult to keep?

snakeblitz33

I agree with flower. You really have to be dedicated to a fish that only eats live foods.

I would also add that any soapfish is probably a bad decision too. While it's not extremely delicate, if it dies, it secretes a poisonous mucus layer that can "nuke" the rest of the tank. Definitely not something I want to mess with.

I would also add leafy dragon seahorses.

phixer

I saw a tank full of those leafy seahorses at Scripps Institute of Oceanography once. Very interesting animal. I dont know what they are, a fish or invetibrate?

I like the challenge of being able to keep some of the harder fish but really dont like the price tag associated and have seen some decent prices for Moorish Idols. Will do some more research though.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixer http:///t/396514/whats-the-most-difficult-fish-to-keep#post_3533078
I saw a tank full of those leafy seahorses at Scripps Institute of Oceanography once. Very interesting animal. I dont know what they are, a fish or invetibrate?

I like the challenge of being able to keep some of the harder fish but really dont like the price tag associated and have seen some decent prices for Moorish Idols. Will do some more research though.

Leafy Sea dragon is a fish
in the seahorse family. I keep Potbelly and Kuda seahorses myself, I love them, they are like fishy puppies, and can even be trained to eat at a feeding dish.

S

saxman

FWIW, keeping "leafies" or "weedies" (seadragons) isn't horribly tuff...it's the setup that most peeps can't replicate. They require a really LARGE tank, as in 8' diameter x 8' tall, and to make things a bit more difficult, they need to be kept in the high 50's - low 60's at the most. Breeding them successfully is another story...

To be honest, in terms of Syngnathids, sea moths are a lot tuffer to keep...nobody I know has been successful at it, including some really sharp SH keepers.

There are several fishes that fall into the "difficult to keep" category, some due to food requirements, others due to our inability to give them the proper environment. In fact, the fish in my avatar (Parapterois heterura
) is a coldwater lionfish species that very few folks have kept more than a few months, altho there are a handful of peeps who have kept them over the 1 year mark or longer. FWIW, we got to about 18 mos, and the little !@#$%^&*() found a small space in the tank cover to go floor surfing. We have a friend who just clicked over the 1 year mark.