what's the secret of glueing acrylic?

moonie

I'm trying to assemble a sump and I had the acrylic sheets cut and the shop sold me some glue or whatever. Gave me the directions on how to use it but it doesn't seal the water out. I have filled it with a gallon or so and I have leaks so I will have to reseal. Is there some better glue to use that I can buy from home depot or lowes. The stuff I have is like water maybe thinner and it runs but doesn't seal real well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

isistius

Originally Posted by joncat24
weld on is the only thing that will work
exactly.
you need to clap your pieces together, then use the #4 weld on with a syringe to place a bead along the seam. it will fill the gap between the pieces. leave it clamped for 20 min or so, before you move on to the next seam. if there is a little space between the pieces, wou need to use something like #16 which is thicker, and does a better job at filling those spaces

acrylic51

There isn't any need for clamps when bonding acrylic......The biggest key is your edge prep where the 2 pieces will be bonded.....When the shop cut the pieces did they clean up the edges with a router or jointer? I would first look and see what your edges looked liked? If they were marked with blade marks that is a issue there......
Yes WeldOn will work for bonding acrylic...either 3 or 4 will work.....You should honestly try the pin method when bonding acrylic to get a nice bubble free strong joint.......

trippkid

Totally agree with Acrylic, edge preparation is the key, if the surface of the edges is not smooth and perfect, leaks will occur. You may be able to try the Weld-On #16, since it is already built, it may seal up the leaks for you. I would run a bead(it is thicker, but still runs very easily) on the inside of all the joints that were bonded( I would stand it on the edge being glued to let gravity maybe assist in pulling the "glue" into the small impefections on the edge), then retest. If it still leaks, I'd say you need to try again with new pieces properly prepared. Good luck, I hope you can fix your leaks.
Oh, if you don't have the thick stuff, you can make it with what you have. Just dissolve some acrylic shavings or chips into the solvent that you have, make a small amt. first to get the consistancy right, it sould flow kind of like syrup on pancakes, that's about what the #16 flows like. You could probably make an even thicker syrup, like molasses, that might help too if it is really leaking from visible holes. I have only made a couple of things so far, and by far the edge prep. is the most important to success from the start.
Matt

acrylic51

Honestly I've done the trick with the WeldOn 16, but I've come to find out through very reliable sources, that doing the "trick" with 16 to seal it actually weakens the joints. The "best" or "correct" way to fix the problem is either to take "V" or "cubed stock" and cut it to size and glue that in the corners to join everything......This would be your best fix structurally....HTH

matt b

im making a sump from a all glass aqarium with plexiglass baffles will it work if i just use aquarium silicone????

trippkid

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Honestly I've done the trick with the WeldOn 16, but I've come to find out through very reliable sources, that doing the "trick" with 16 to seal it actually weakens the joints. The "best" or "correct" way to fix the problem is either to take "V" or "cubed stock" and cut it to size and glue that in the corners to join everything......This would be your best fix structurally....HTH
You are correct sir, that would be a much better way to fix, and I can see how it would make the joint not as strong. I guess I have just been lucky in the past. I will do that the next time I decide to build a sump, which should be rather soon. Thanks for the tip.
Where in the "burg" are you? I am about 15 or 20 min away, if ever interested in swapping frags, give me shout.
Matt