whats with the protien skimmer????

goober

My fish tank is a 46 gallon boe fish tank it has one damsal and one red clown. Its been running for about two mounths now and im wondering why doesnt the skimmer produce alot of foam. when the foam is produced it disappears can someone please help :rolleyes: :confused:

mr . salty

A two month old tank with that small bio load may not yet have anything to skim out of the water yet.What are your water readings???

Goober - sounds like your tank is still cycling - as Mr. Salty said, you probably don't have stuff to skim yet.
What brand/model skimmer do you have? Others with the same unit may be able to tell you what to expect from it.

jimi

If you have high nitrates there is waste in the tank so your skimmer should produce something. What type of skimmer and pump?

goober

i have a skilter 250 which is a filter and a protien skimmer. It produces some foam but not alot

the 55 aquarist

I agree with jimi, the skimmer part is crap, but hte filiter is nice. I have a magnum 350, and i'm gonna get a wet/dry in october. But if i were you then later on i would buy a skimmer in about a month or when you add you tank limit.(if you plan on it) Hope this helps.
[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: The 55 Aquarist ]

guppie

You can make the skimmer work if you use a good air pump and a wood airstone. and put the air line one the skimmer under water, stick the airstone in the skimmer and use a air valve to regulate the air, it will work better then it does and it is not as loud. good Luck

dburr

I did the same as guppy, it worked great.
Then I got a prism- stoll waiting for my impeller...