What's your maintenance schedule?

300_FOWLR_dude

I do daily water changes which add up to 20% weekly on my main display with an auto water changer. I only go in and make new saltwater once a week and mix it in a station I set up. I drain all the waste water at the same time which I will also soon automate. Everything else is just routine like cleaning the acrylic, bi-weekly carbon changes. As for water testing I really only test when setting up a new tank which I do without fish using ammonium chloride and Dr. Tim's [free plug] One and Only. Currently running 5 tanks with 2 down at the moment. Semi retired [work from home] 45 year hobbyist. No time for real work with a fish room. ;)

300_FOWLR_dude

In the process of changing as we speak. I had been using IO, but I am currently changing my 135 over to a reef, mostly LPS so I am switching to Tropic Marin for a minute and just picked up a few buckets to try. I used to use the Neo Marine years back when Stephen came out with his New Zeo system as well. Truth be told I walked away from salt 7 years ago due to a huge crash on my 300 when I was out of town for three days. I'm sure you've heard the stories over the years, but it took me 6 years to get over the loss.

The 135 is still fresh water, so I will be using this on the 300 FOWLR and I also have a 75 mini reef I call it just under way [two month cycle] where I will see how it does.

Lots of changes while I was away so not stuck on a brand just yet is the short answer.

lmforbis

Administrator
Staff member
My target is weekly 30 gal water changes (tank is 120 high) but in reality it is more like every 2-3 weeks. I scrape glass as needed and empty skimate from the reservoir when go downstairs where my filtration system is And I think of it. I have my RODI system plumbed directly to my ATO and 35 gallon norwesco tank that I mix salt in. Both are equiped with old school manual float valves to shut it off. I very rarely test the water. Only if there is a problem. Tank is well established and low maintenance.