When should I worry

trillionaire

I've had my volitan lion in my 220g tank since Wednesday. He is there by himself. He seems to be acting Ok but he hasn't ate since I've had him. I've tried all the tricks listed in other posts. The only food I've tried are silversides. I'm tempted to go buy some damsels and use them as feeders. How long can he go without eating?

When my lion was disturbed.. he would go a good 2-3 weeks without eating.. but if there were other small fish in the tank.. beware when he gets hungry

skirk

Lions can go weeks without eating. I had one go over 5wks before. However this is not normal. They usually eat by the next day, if not the same day if it's a volitan. Recommendations usually say that you may need to initiate feeding with live fish. Buy the live fish according to the size of your lion. It would take a fair size lion to eat a small damsel. I'd say get a damsel if your lion is about 5" long or more.(small damsel). However if he is this large then I'd be suspicious as to why he isn't eating since he must have been eating to get that big in the first place. If he is only 2-3" then get some guppies. If he's 3-4" then get guppies, rosy reds, or small goldfish. Then if he eats them you need to go back to attempting to feed the lionfish frozen food. Volitans usually don't have this type of problem. It's much more common in the dwarf lions. If frozen still is'nt going well then only feed him live perhaps one time a week just to keep him a little hungrier and tempted to eat frozen. He should go for this. Definitely a strange situation to me though. I've never had a volitan not eat good right away.