when to add reef package?

24fan

When is it a good time to add a reef package to my 30 gal reef setup? I have got ls and lr but nothing else yet. Do I wait to get a bunch of algae build up then add them or what? Do I go to my lfs and buy a few at a time or buy a package from SWF.com
or will this overload my tank?

dacia

Wait until the tank is completely cycled before adding livestock. After the nitrites and ammonia are at zero, then you can add your cleaner crew. I would wait at least 2-4 weeks after that to add your first fish, and if you plan to have a reef, wait at least 4 months or so to add your first corals.

dacia

I bought my cleaner crew from my LFS and swf.com. I did not get a package though. I bought different things from different places. For a 30, I think the reef packages sold here might be too large. You don't want the cleaner crew to be so large that there isn't enough food for them.

24fan

ok thx for the advice. If there is not enough algae to eat then what do you feed crabs to eat. Im looking at buying the smallest reef package on this website. Good Idea or not?

dacia

I think you should be safe with the 20-55 gallon package. Just be careful that you have some empty shells for the blueleg hermits or they will eat your snails and take their shells. Also, the CBS might get aggressive if he is not well fed.

J

jasonk

I'm not such a big fan of the blue legs. everyone told me to get them when i got my tank set up, but now i wish i would have gotten scarlet hermits. i had 10 blue legs in a 20 gal. tank, and when i switched to my 55 after less than a year i had only 2. the biggest one when i got them killed 1 or 2 so i took him out, and then the next biggest one started illing as well. they are an aggressive hermit, and IMO it's worth the extra cash for the scarlets.

dedwards

Jason...did you have extra shells for the BLHermits? I just picked up 2 of them and LFS threw in about 5 extra shells so they would have some to grow into. Just curious if I might have an issue with them later.