When to change filter media

Alfonso

Hello going on 4 week my question is when do I change out the filter media in my 6 gal Nano tank?

jay0705

Honestly, very rarely. Your media is where alot of your bacteria live. The only thing i change is my bag of chemi pure blue and thats every 3-4 months

jay0705

Iam guessing your using a hob filter? If so you can rinse the cartridges in sw to remove alot of the gunk

mr. limpid

does the filter media contain charcoal if so you will need to change it out depending on the amount of load on your tank (fish poo). Charcoal once full will start to release ammonia back into your tank, causing more issues.

lmforbis

I’d rinse any mechanical filtration in the water you take out during water changes every time you do one. Carbon every 3-4 weeks. If you have something intended for bio filtrationlike bio balls or ceramic tubes I’d personally get rid of them otherwise rinse like mechanical filtration. Other chemical filtration I’d change every 3-6 weeks.

Diggy

I have a 32g nano, how often do I change out filter?it looks dirty every week
Sounds like you have the bio cube filter.. I have the same setup.. I merely rinse the filter once or twice per week, depending on how dirty it is.. I replace it with a new one every month as it has activated charcoal and it gets old. I also rinse out the sponge between chamber 2-3 every month. I’m happy with the setup , I keep mostly corals and a few fish. I haven’t killed anything yet, although my Montipora mystic sunset is struggling somewhat.

BiggVic420_951

I’d rinse any mechanical filtration in the water you take out during water changes every time you do one. Carbon every 3-4 weeks. If you have something intended for bio filtrationlike bio balls or ceramic tubes I’d personally get rid of them otherwise rinse like mechanical filtration. Other chemical filtration I’d change every 3-6 weeks.
What would you use instead of bio balls or ceramic tubes?