when to hire cleaners?

30 hex

i have been set up for 5 days with 30 gallons,25-30lb live rock, 20 lbs live sand,20 lbs base sand. when does a clean up crew go in? no water tests until i get to the store this wekend.I dont know if they go in befor or after a cycle.

Hi, I wouldnt put them in till the down side of the cycle, When the brown algea starts. If you add them to early high ammonia will kill them, you have a few weeks before the algea bloom, what are you cycling with??...cya ;)

playtime

There is no need for the clean up crew until after you finish your cycle and add fish. There really wouldn't be anything for them to clean, right. I believe adding them before the cycle is finished could kill them anyway. by the way, welcome to the board.
playtime

30 hex

Thanks, and nce to meet everyone. I guess i was thinking they could clean off all the stuff that didnt make it on my live rock. I didnt want fish right now, just some pigmy seahorses and lots if critters poping in and out of the rocks. Any cool suggestions?

burnnspy

I recommend if you keep sea horses then they should be the only fish in the tank. They will not be able to compete against faster feeders and do not do well in tanks with med-high current flow, therefor they should only be kept in refugium type tanks.
BurnNSpy