Where can I buy Acrylic sheets to make sump???

cap'n pete

Make sure you don't buy "extruded acrylic". Different manufacturing process which produces cheaper product. Has a tendency to crack during and after fabrication.

jjboods

FYI...just got off the phone with US Plastic...their acrylic is extruded. Cell Cast is special order...I'll post some prices when I get them.

jumpfrog

I bought plexiglass from my local glass shop. Gave them the measurements for my two weirs and in 10 minutes they cut both. I think I paid $10.00 for the whole deal.
Might want to give that a try.
Good Luck!

jjboods

I have used plexiglass to replace windows and it usually discolors. I understand that they are getting direct sun, but I believe over time all plexi discolors. I finally heard from US Plastics. 5 sheets of 3/8 cell cast to make a 48"x36"x20" tank comes to a TOTAL of $247.70!!!!! How's that for a price for a 150 gallon acrylic tank??? Where do I sign?:)

hnf2k

is there a specific type of acrylic that you would want? or is all acrylic fine for a tank?

benj420

Hey jjboods,
Here is a novice question:
Is $247.70 a good price? What would a pre-made tank this size normally cost?
Since you said Where do I sign, I take it $250 is a good price.

jjboods

A website has a Tennecor Acrylic 150 Gallon 60x24x24 for $680. And it's a site that has reasonably good prices most of the time. An AGA 90 with overflows is $300 or more with the plumbing kit.

benj420

Wow, that is quite a savings. What are the maximum dimensions you can get this stuff in? Is it hard to glue together? Is the glue expensive?

jjboods

I have never done it, but researched it once when thinking about making my own skimmer. You don't "glue" it. You use a solvent that seals/fuses the pieces together. I have seen people use the solvent on the inside, but have been told that the pros actually run it along seams on the outside. I belive you can get it in 4x8 sheets and can cut it with a fine tooth circular blade on a table saw or with a hand held circular saw...although I wouldn't try that for the simple reason of wanting square, straight edges. I have also been told that you can use a router to shape it.

i like fish

See if you have any local plastic suppliers, you might save on shipping. You can sometimes order it precision cut so all you have to do is assemble it.

jjboods

There are definitely some good deals out there. I found another site that had a 4x8 sheet of 3/8" cell cast acrylic for about $165. That's perfect for a 4x2x2 120 gallon tank.

jhead

Just a note on sawing on drilling.
The teeth on the saw blade need to be in a straight line, and not offset. Normal blades for wood have offset teeth and this will crack the acrylic. The drill dits are also different. They are flatter on the tip and when used properly will cause the acrylic scrap to come out in two sprials. Us can use a normal drill bit, just take it slow. And remimber that if you over heat the blade, or the bit, it can cause the acrylic to become distorted, or worse, start to bubble.

drkegel

I bought a book on ---- for $25 from a guy who's made acryllic tanks for over 25 years. It's a very well written book with a lot of tips and pictures to illustrate what he writes.
In my opinion - well worth the 25 bucks.