Where to buy a good setup??????

kidwicked

Where are some of the best places to order aquariums online??
I am thinking about a 150-200 gallon but I want it to be a vertical cylinder or octogon in shape and come with the stand with it and all other needed things to get up and running fast.

mandarin w

There are several places to order beautiful cylinder or an octogon. But I was wondering if you gave any thought to the weight you would be placing on your floor. A standard 200 gal tank weighs about 2000 lbs. and this is over a 6foot by 2 foot area, maybe even bigger. The tank you are wanting are going to compress that weight to a much smaller area, 3foot or 4 foot square. That much weight on your floor could cause you floor to fall thru. or the floor to pull away and bow. This would cause your tank to become uneven and (I don't know about acylic) but glass would definatly break, causeing thousands of dollars of damage.
Before you buy any tank like that you would be best to check out the size and weight of that tank full, and have a contractor come to your home and check out where you want to put that. Make sure the floor can handle that much wieght.
If not then maybe he can make it so.
Just wanted to make sure you realized this before we read a post something to the effect, My beautiful 150/200 gal tank put a hole in my floor and is now in the basement,

mandarin w

If putting it in a basement that should work out for you. But you still will need to be sure the floor could hold the wieght. It the basement isn't finished the concrete could crack and cummble from the weight. and if it is finished, sometimes they use 1x2 on the floor over the concrete and put plywood then flooring or carpeting over it. I am just saying thay much wieght concentrated on such a small area, you need to be sure that it will be properly supported.
Have you given any thought as to what type of tank you want this to be.
A tank of this type will be very tall. Probly at least 36 inches, but I would not be surprised if it isn't quite a bit more.
If you would decide to do a reef. You lighting would have to be very strong to penatrate that much water. I don't believe a 400 watt MH would work. So you would be haveing to find something much stronger to reach corals towards the bottom of the tank.
Also there is the fish issue. You hear people on here say that tangs belong in a 180gal tank or larger, They are talking about standard 180 tanks, Six foot tanks, Tang need lots of swimming room. and swimming up in a circle is not the best idea. The same is true with alot of your bigger fish. Because the fact is, Is this would still be a 3 or 4 foot tank, The only plus is you could have alot more smaller fish.
I realize that you haven't said anything about a tang, or a reef, or about any of the fish you would like to keep. I just want you to be aware of want you are in fact getting yourself into with these circular tanks. They look great but there are problems and limatations with these.

drhead0

Can anyone recommend 4fishtank.com from presonal experience? I'm considering a 155 corner and was hoping to get a review of there tank quality and or pricing. Same for glassgages, can anyone recommend them? I think 4fishtanks will give a kickback for referrals, if i buy from they I would be willing to include anyone who can tell me about them as a referal.

acrylic51

I've used GlassCages on a couple of occasions for custom builds......I've never had any issues with them.....The only thing I can say is to research.....You'll hear good and bad about GC, but bottom line there isn't a tank manufacturer that doesn't have failures, just some places seem to take a real bashing.....When you look at the sear numbers of tanks they build, and I'm not a statistics guy, but I'd say their not that bad....If your looking for someone to hold your hand or if you go in telling them how to build a tank, your going to get what most would consider "rude" treatment.....Personally if you know what your after have your requirements drawn out on paper and call and discuss what your looking for and then fax a copy of your plans to then, and go from there......
I've done that at least 4 times on custom builds and all holes have been exact.....I have only bought Low Iron tanks from them, and a couple areas you might have to clean up excess silicone, but nothing major IMHO........Again if your looking for candy coating when you talked to them don't bother.......I personally like to call, say what I want and forget pleasantries.......It's all business.....

xcali1985

There is a limit to the size that they will build a hex tank. If im not mistaken it's around 100gallons.

reefkprz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcali1985 http:///t/234183/where-to-buy-a-good-setup#post_3472306
There is a limit to the size that they will build a hex tank. If im not mistaken it's around 100gallons.
for a very good reason, the structure isnt strong enough to support more weight and prone to failure. unless they solid brace all the corners. I couldnt imagine having the constant worries of tank failure, even smaller hex tanks are more prone to failure than a normal cube.

geridoc

Those warnings about the weight of the tank are right on. Think about putting a volkswagen in your living room - that's pretty much what you are proposing. We just put in a 220 gallon tank, and out of concern for having it become a basement addition I placed 4 steel support beams in the basement to reinforce the two floor beams that would be under the tank. If you are going to invest so much in a tank, then it is worth the few extra dollars to be sure that it won't create thousands of dollars worth of damage (in addition to earning the eternal wrath of your wife/SO).