Where to place Chemi-Pure Elite in Aquafilter??

cmonti

I have a 20G and have converted an Aquaclear Filter 50 filter into a fuge. I created a narrow baffle between the intake tube and the filter media housing area that hold floss. I have cheato in the large housing area, no live rock. Plenty of live rock in the display and was advised that LR in the filter could trap debris. I have read al lot about Chemi-Elite and decided is was a must have. Purchased today. Here is my question.. I understand that the media needs as much flow as possible through the bag but need to know where the ideal placement would be. I currently have the bag at the very bottom of the filter housing area with the Cheato placed on top and kept the floss in baffle area (floss wont fit there). Im not sure how the water flows through the filter and am unsure if there enough flow through the Chemi-Pure. Is the media placed in the correct area within the filter housing?

al&burke

They are not a huge filter - you almost need to put a vertical baffle between the chem and the cheato even a piece of sponge or something. I think your best bet would be to buy a second Aquaclear 50 and just put chemi pure elite in that - even one that is a bit smaller - I don't think another 50 is going to hurt you.

cmonti

my original plan was to convert a 70 but I already had a 50 running on the tank. I figured i would test my skills before buying a 70 and messing up the conversion. Ill try to add another baffle area. That makes the most sense. If not, another filter it is.. Im also running a Red Sea Prism skimmer that actually acts a a filter as well. It was a media area but I think it might be too small for the Chemi-Pure. Ill give it a try in the morning.

al&burke

How much chemi pure elite does it say to put in your filter, I have never used it but i plan on getting some especially for my HT tank. Two 50's would be perfect for your 20 gallon.

cmonti

I purchased the smallest bottle $9.99. It treats up to 20G. Its just a bit big for the filter. Take a look at a few sites that carry and review the product. Also details "how to use" instructions. pretty cool stuff. I figure, even if it isnt in the most ideal area, its still better to have running in the system than not.

al&burke

I have read good things about it as well - a lot of the people here run it, it happens to be on sale at my LFS this weekend.

monsinour

the small unit, 6.5 oz treats up to 20 gallons. The larger unit, 12 oz (i think) treats up to 50 gallons. Thats all according to the label. However, I have found that In my system, I needed the 2 large units to do the awesome job its doing. I got 2 of the larger ones online for only $12 a bottle. The elite removes phosphates from the water. I talked to my LFS soo much about this that they dropped one line of charcoal for this stuff. I was their first customer for it as I had them get it out of the shipping boxes before they could even shelve it. I had to get 2 small units to replace a used large unit in my system. Its too bad that I had to pay $13 for a small unit. But I would rather support the LFS than order it online and pay $9 for shipping. Oh yea, due to my local reef club, I get 10% off anything at the LFS, even dog and cat food! Get it, you wont regret it Al. You might want to start small though, kinda acclimate your tank to the cleaner water.

al&burke

Thanks Monsi - my LFS store has 11.74 onz for 14$ or something like that - I will get a few botles.