Where to start???

govolsguy31

I've been reading alot the last week or so on starting up a salt water tank. I've been wanting to do it for years now, but just never pulled the trigger. I think I'm finally going to try to get one going. What size tank would you recomend? Where do you even start? I have a million questions, but I don't want to hound everyone. I'm sure the answers are on the forums here. Just looking for some advice to get going...

govolsguy31

Oh, I forgot to add... I've got a 55gal fresh water tank that I've had running for several years. So as far as some of the basics, I understand. But when you step into salt water, its easy to get overwhelmed, I guess...

xlr8

As a noob myself, I started by reading, reading and then reading. This site is awsome for real life experiance info. Get a good book to read. Decide on what kind of tank you may want ie, reef,invert only ect. Then research all aspects such as lighting, filtration, ect. I think I've been researching for about 6 months now. Ive collected equipment and am almost ready for set-up. Get to know about the equip. and the importance of cycling a new tank, and what is needed to maintain water parameters for what is going to be in the tank. The threads at the top of the main forum page are excellent!.

fishkid13

Originally Posted by govolsguy31
http:///forum/post/3085640
I've been reading alot the last week or so on starting up a salt water tank. I've been wanting to do it for years now, but just never pulled the trigger. I think I'm finally going to try to get one going. What size tank would you recomend? Where do you even start? I have a million questions, but I don't want to hound everyone. I'm sure the answers are on the forums here. Just looking for some advice to get going...
75Gal is a good tank to start with. Its not to big, yet it gives you room to grow and can have a pretty good slection with your choices.
First we need to know what you like?
Corals
Fish
Inverts
And what are you looking for when you look that your tank? Do you want it to look like the ocean? Do you want some pretty fish? What?
From their it is easier to narrow down what exaclly you need.

xcali1985

Originally Posted by govolsguy31
http:///forum/post/3085640
The one thing ive noticed on this forum is that the members here especially the senior ones are willing to answer the same question over and over. They care about the hobby and wish to share their knowledge with everyone. Its a contagious effect as when you learn you will share also.
You learn to apperciate the hobby and don't want people mistreating and killing perfectly healthy animals. My suggestion is read as much as possible but ask. This is an expensive hobby and it would be a shame to lose a member due to a question.
Ive been in many forums where the will say "use the search" this isn't one of them.

fishkid13

Originally Posted by Xcali1985
http:///forum/post/3085798
The one thing ive noticed on this forum is that the members here especially the senior ones are willing to answer the same question over and over. They care about the hobby and wish to share their knowledge with everyone. Its a contagious effect as when you learn you will share also.
Really, hm never seems to happen to me..

sharkbait09

hello welcome to swf.com!
youre first q is probobly
reef (coral fish live rock) fowlr (fish only with live rock) fo (fish only)
then you get into tank size (once u start u always want bigger)
like they said get a good book its worth it!!!!
pm me any time!!!!!!!!!
id love to awnser any q at all!
thankyou!!

govolsguy31

I definately want fish in my tank, not just an invert tank. I'd like for it to be pretty. After all, it'll be sitting in my living room! :) I love the clown fish. They're distinguishable by many people and think I would like to make that my starting point. They need an anenome too, right? I was reading about them, so i'm guessing I would have a docile/ peaceful tank?
After reading and reading, what do i need to start? Do you do a tank cycle before putting live rock or substrate in? What do you use to begin a tank cycle? you have to put some sort of fish in to create amonia, right?

govolsguy31

Originally Posted by sharkbait09
http:///forum/post/3085828
hello welcome to swf.com!
youre first q is probobly
reef (coral fish live rock) fowlr (fish only with live rock) fo (fish only)
then you get into tank size (once u start u always want bigger)
like they said get a good book its worth it!!!!
pm me any time!!!!!!!!!
id love to awnser any q at all!
thankyou!!
Gosh, I'm glad someone is! :) Everyone on here is so helpful! I think I want a reef tank. I'm sure its more work, but in the long run will be worth it. So if i'm going to get into it, should I just get what I want in the begining? I don't want to spend a ton of money on a 50 or 75 gal tank and then want to upgrade a year or 2 later. Is it worth spending the extra money in the begining a getting a big tank?

sharkbait09

hello,im only 11 so sorry for bad spelling lol
i would go with 75 way worth it.
it is going to be a slow prosses addding one thing at a time.
a cycle is pretty much youre tanks brake in period alot of people say putting fish in to star a cycle is torturing the fish (if you do want to do fish you are probobly going to want to put damsels in but they can be very tricky to get out to put in youre clowns very frustraiting
) well i dont really know also cycles can take a while can untill you will have to constantly test the tank during this time until ammonia nitrite and nitrate are 0 you might also get an algea bloom during this time probobly a brown film all over the glass but dont worry an old credit card works good for getting algea of the glass..
also clownfish i a good starting point now the species heres a few to google perkula,tomata,occeliaris i think thats how you spell it lol.
Also clowns do not need an anemone and it is not garunteed that it will host it anemones are very expensive,hard to take care of and need pretty strong light ive never had good luck with them.Soo now step 2 google species of clowns.
thankyou!!!!!id love awnsering any q

vsecret

welcome! when i started about 7-8 months ago i was told not to go any smaller then a 75, well I went and got a 55, and i think it was the perfect size. i've got 2 clowns, 3 green chromis, 1 cleaner wrasse, 1 royal gramma, and 1 small blue hippo tang.
I'm glad that i havent gone any larger. Im planning on it a little later, but when you're first starting out if you go any bigger, then the water changes are bigger, and it costs more money with rock and sand.
this is all just my opinion of course!
good luck though - and i have found so much useful information on this site!
oh and make sure you find a good Fish store...not one of the chain ones

govolsguy31

Originally Posted by vsecret
http:///forum/post/3086065
welcome! when i started about 7-8 months ago i was told not to go any smaller then a 75, well I went and got a 55, and i think it was the perfect size. i've got 2 clowns, 3 green chromis, 1 cleaner wrasse, 1 royal gramma, and 1 small blue hippo tang.
I'm glad that i havent gone any larger. Im planning on it a little later, but when you're first starting out if you go any bigger, then the water changes are bigger, and it costs more money with rock and sand.
this is all just my opinion of course!
good luck though - and i have found so much useful information on this site!
oh and make sure you find a good Fish store...not one of the chain ones

Thats cool. I think I may go 75gal. I can appreciate starting a little smaller, but I want to be able to expand it a little bit too.
Ok, so I get a tank. Where do I go from there? What kind of filter do I need to get? Are they the same for fresh and salt water? What else do I need before I put water in it?