Which color PC?

cranium

Right now i have 2-55 watt PCs over my 29g tall. One is a Smartlap while the other is an Ultra-Actinic. I want to change the smartlamp to an all white bulb but i don't know which one to get. Should i get a 10000k, 67000k, or 88000k? Which one does everyone think I should get?

smalltimer

Go with the 65 watt custom sealife brand 10000 k, your ballest will burn it and it is probly the most true brand of bulbs on the market. Let me post an email I got from one of their reps on actiic bulbs that I asked him. I wondered if the p.c. actinic was TRUE actinic 03 or not and this was his answer...........
Thanks for writing. There is a lot of confusion as to the term "actinic" and the differences between the spectral output between different types of bulbs. The term "actinic" refers to a spectrum that is maximized in the blue end of the spectrum. The term "true" was actually connected with the first high output bulbs that utilized special gases and phosphors to create a light that peaked at a very low wavelength, giving it a purple/blue appearance. This light was valuable due to its ability to penetrate deep into the aquarium as well as into the tissues of the organisms. The aesthetics of the aquarium were also improved over the harsher yellow lights that had previously been used. The term 03 is also synonymous with the word "true" and both generally refer to an actinic bulb that peaks in the 420-430 nanometer range. Our actinic peaks around 460 nanometers. This is also the range where photosynthesis is activated.
Our bulbs are not "painted" and utilize a special gas mixture combined with rare earth phosphors to create the actinic wavelength. Many years ago a competitor used this statement to scare people from purchasing our lights, but unfortunately rumors stick. Our bulbs, while different then the VHO actinics, will give a more natural look to the aquarium, as our bulbs simulate the natural environment.
If you have any more questions, please let me know.
Thanks,
Wesley Brooks
Customer Support
www.customsealife.com

nm reef

I'd also suggest the CSL 10k 65 watt bulb....I run 4x65 CSL 10k's combined with 2x110 watts of URI vho's(actinics) on my 55 reef. I replaced the origional 2x55 watt smartlites with the 10k's then added 2 more 2x65 watt 10k's shortly after....in my opinion the CSL 65 watt 10k bulb is outstanding by itself and even better with actinic supplimentation!!Alone they produce a crisp white light....combined with the actinics it is a natural slight blue tint.:cool:

cap'n pete

Smalltimer,
Thanks for posting that reply by Custom Sealife! I have two 55W Smartlites and wondered about it myself. I was also curious about the 65W thing. Did Custom tell you that you could use them with the 55W ballast? I thought you could since the 65W is the same size, as a matter of fact, my last retrofit I bought had the 55W wrapped in a 65W box! The ballast don't say anything. Thanks.

M

mroli

Yes, you can use the 65W buld with the 55W ballast. From CSL tech support:
The bulbs will operate at the wattage of the ballast. We did have a crossover where we were using Fulham ballasts rated for 64w with the 55w bulbs. You can check this by removing the reflector and checking the ballast. It will either be a black ballasts (55w) or the Fulham.
Please let us know if you have any questions.
I have 4 55W Smartlamps running right now. But they are the 6700K version. I have 2 65W 10,000k and 2 65W smartlamps (10,000k/actinics) on order.
Chris