which corals to start with?

becka

I have a 75g that has been set up for a year. There is a yellow tang, clownfish, 3 damsels, royal gramma, starfish and hermit crabs... I have 50 lbs live rock - going to add more but would like to introduce some colorful soft corals. What should I start out with? Thanks!!:)

yosemite sam

Mushrooms, zoos, and other polyps are a good first choice. What kind of lighting do you have? And what kind of starfish?

becka

it is a choc chip starfish. I probably should move him, they can be pretty aggressive with corals right?? What is the minimum for lighting that you would recommend?

yosemite sam

Yeah, you're going to have to get rid of the CC star, definately not reef safe. What kind of corals do you plan on keeping, just softies? There are a million opinions on lighting, but if you just want LPS and softie corals, VHO and power compact lighting is fine. And remember, getting the bare minimum usually isn't the way to go, as you limit yourself, and sometimes have to shell out for all new lighting, etc should you want to upgrade. Plan it out, and make a budget to see how much you can spend. Getting decent VHO or PC lighting for a 75 gallon tank will cost a few hundred bucks. Do a search on the board to see other peoples opinions on lighting.