Which Dosing System Is The Best For Kalk

efishnsea

Hey Reefkeppers

Well instead of adding a fuge to my tank to help with my pH issues I have decided to go with dosing kalkwasser. I just ordered the 5g kent and was wondering if anyone had a favorite dosing system that they liked. I want to purchase something that will automatically dose the kalk when the lights of off. Whats your favorite??????
Has anyone had any problems with the KENT AQUADOSE SYSTEM
Thanks for any feedback
efish :happyfish nsea

sugarfox03

I made my own from an IV drip set. I havent had any problems with it, and it was FREE to make!
I heard the Kent AquaDose works well though.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by SugarFox03
I made my own from an IV drip set. I havent had any problems with it, and it was FREE to make!
I heard the Kent AquaDose works well though.
SF03, I have an IV and want to set one up. What type Kalkwasser do you put in the delivery tank? I mean I have the powder, what is the mixture ratio? I know it is trial and test to fine tune it.
Mc

sugarfox03

Originally Posted by efishnsea
Hey Melody
Thanks, Where Did You Get It, And How Was The Keys Trip, Any Bugs??????
James

My boyfriend is a paramedic - he brought home two drip sets for me. I only used one. I still have the 15 drop set, do you want it? It will work better on a bigger tank, I used a 60 drop set for my 24 gal and its perfect. The Keys was awesome! We kept 15 (4 people) the first day - we caught around 50 but most were females or shorts. We couldnt go out the second day, I'm a dummy and didnt reapply sunscreen to my back half - the half that gets ALL the sun when your snorkeling looking for lobster. Yeah, I was about as red as this guy:
only not as happy! As soon as I get time I want to go again, maybe not all the way to the Keys, but somewhere around here. Anyway, we had a REALLY nice surf & turf dinner last week - fresh lobster and filet mignon...heavenly.
Anyway, let me know if you want that drip set!
grumpygils: I use Kent brand Kalkwasser. I'm starting out at 1/8 tsp per gallon and working my way up until I figure out what is best for my tank. Since I have such a small tank, I used a .5 liter Zepyrhills bottle which I refill daily. I just used a drill to make the hole in the cap...it was the perfect size, no need to use silicon or anything, it doesnt leak - it was very simple! It took some time to figure out how much I needed to top off though. I lose around 2 cups a day (my tank is topless and I have a 150w MH, so I lose a lot of water), the drip sets are measured in ml, and 1 cup = 250 ml. I need around 500 drips a day, so I just set it at that rate. I use the 60 drip set, 60 drips = 1 ml. The drips are small.

the sherm

problem with IV drip is that the kalk gets stuck in the tubing. get your self a float valv from hardware store and connect it in your sump it works for ur evaporation. when the sump gets low the kalk pores in. two birds with one stone. put florescent light on your sump 55k or 65k also from hardware store so your ph wont go down at nite. i highly recomend refuge with kalk drip and mudd bottom its a do nothing system

grumpygils

Originally Posted by the sherm
problem with IV drip is that the kalk gets stuck in the tubing. get your self a float valv from hardware store and connect it in your sump it works for ur evaporation. when the sump gets low the kalk pores in. two birds with one stone. put florescent light on your sump 55k or 65k also from hardware store so your ph wont go down at nite. i highly recomend refuge with kalk drip and mudd bottom its a do nothing system

Hey SHerm
ANy PICs of that set up?
Mc

moneyman

If you want automatic, this is what I would use:
1) Aqua Medic SP 3000 Niveaumat w/ Auto Top-off Pump System
2) Timer
Set the Niveaumat pump so it operates off the included float switch. Set the timer so the pump only works at night. You need to do nightly Kalk mix unless you have a Kalk Reactor.
I dont mean to preach, but I must say. You should fix your pH issue instead of covering it up by adding kalk.
Originally Posted by efishnsea
Hey Reefkeppers

Well instead of adding a fuge to my tank to help with my pH issues I have decided to go with dosing kalkwasser. I just ordered the 5g kent and was wondering if anyone had a favorite dosing system that they liked. I want to purchase something that will automatically dose the kalk when the lights of off. Whats your favorite??????
Has anyone had any problems with the KENT AQUADOSE SYSTEM
Thanks for any feedback
efish :happyfish nsea

SugarFox03 said:
As soon as I get time I want to go again, maybe not all the way to the Keys, but somewhere around here. QUOTE]
Why would you go all the way to the keys for lobster? I visit my Uncle in Lake worth almost every year and slay the bugs. I think we go out of the Bointon inlet(sp?) most of the time. Some great bugging up in stewart too and they are much bigger. I am in the panhandle and would love to have the lobster grounds you have. we can get them here but it is work to find 2-3. Of course most of the time they are over 10 lbs, thats nice. I might even have lat/lon on some of the numbers we hit. Nothing special about them though. I think even a few have mooring buoys. We always do well though. Let me know if interested and I will look in gps and email them to you to give you a start.
Rich

sugarfox03

lobstergrabber said:
Originally Posted by SugarFox03
As soon as I get time I want to go again, maybe not all the way to the Keys, but somewhere around here. QUOTE]
Why would you go all the way to the keys for lobster? I visit my Uncle in Lake worth almost every year and slay the bugs. I think we go out of the Bointon inlet(sp?) most of the time. Some great bugging up in stewart too and they are much bigger. I am in the panhandle and would love to have the lobster grounds you have. we can get them here but it is work to find 2-3. Of course most of the time they are over 10 lbs, thats nice. I might even have lat/lon on some of the numbers we hit. Nothing special about them though. I think even a few have mooring buoys. We always do well though. Let me know if interested and I will look in gps and email them to you to give you a start.
Rich
Hey Lobstergrabber! (great name by the way!)
I have heard most places around here are too deep to snorkel, I'm not dive cert'd but my bf is. If its not too much trouble, would you mind sharing those coordinates? I'll send ya some tails if we do well! My email is sugarfox03@aol.com I heard Stuart has some nice ones, anywhere in the north palm beach area and up, havent heard much about Boynton though, but that is where we always go out of. Thats cool your uncle lives in Lake Worth, I've lived here my whole life! :joy:
-Melody

Well I have lived in N fl my whole life in the Destin area. Been diving down there since 97 atleast one trip a year. You guys have some very nice reefs right out your back door. Very lucky IMO. I will try and get you those coordinates tomorrow. I hope I have the one for the reef we always go to when we go shallow. I think we drive a little further south than Bointon before we launch and then travel further south by boat, but you need to go there if you only snorkel. The top of the reef is only 5-6 ft deep in places and is awesome. I will look and see what I have saved from down there. He lines most of his spots up with landmarks not using gps but I just happened to have my handheld on a couple of the trips. I will get back to you tomorrow afternoon with what I can find.
Rich