which fish first

seadoggy

I really like the lionfish I know for most its old news but thats what got me to do my salt tank. Now for my first fish I was thinking A lionfish I know that they are hardy and can get mean sometimes, but I also what a clown and maybe a tang(yellow) would you think by adding in the lion first it will be to difficult to add other fish later? I know with my cichlids and I don't mean the $4 specials I had some rare ones that cost me 20-30 dollars after certain ones were in their that was it everyone else became LUNCH!:eek:

fishy88

lions are not real mean. they just eat everything that can fit in their mouth. how big is your tank? yellow tangs need a fairly large tank.

mikeynice

Ive had my lionfish for close to 2 years now. Hes not mean at all but he has gotten much bigger than when I got him. Every fish Ive added has not been any problem whatsoever except a small flame angel which was a $50 lunch for him. So I suggest that you plan on him getting big and do not add any fish that will fit in its mouth.

seadoggy

I have a 55 gal. And just wanted a Lionfish a clown not sure which one need to read up but any suggestions would be great since I would like maybe 2. And I was thinking about a tang not sure yet.

fishy88

cannot put a tang in a 55g, as for the lions i would get 2 fuzzy dawrf lions they stay some what small. the other lions get too big

psufan43

About eight years ago, I had a lion and a percula together in one tank. I added them at the same exact time. Even on occasions i fed the lion goldfish, he woudl never go after the clown. I wouldnt recomend though. But just though i would let ya know my exp.

fshhub

if you can get a decent sized maroon clown, it would be fine with dwarf lions.
Tomatoes, too, but they are a bit more aggressive, IMO(despite teh rumors of the maroons being most agressive)

seadoggy

so it depends on the clown fish right? even then you are taken a chance? what other fish are nice looking and good for a first timer? by the way thanks for everyones response.

fshhub

maroons get to be 6 inches, adn a decent size one would not fit into a lions mouth, let alone a dwarf lion
Tomatoes 5 inches
this is where it matters, not on the species, but the size

krazykarel

A maroon gold stripe clown should be ok. I had one for over a year...he even battled a niger trigger and killed it! Everytime i would see the clown he was more and more tattered up and i finally said nuff is nuff and was going to take the trigger back to the store...then i found the trigger dead!
So all that to say that most maroons can hold their own.

lionfish1

Just my 2 cents but my lionfish has ate almost everything he could fit in his mouth except my maroon gold stripe and my clarkii so who knows;)