Which Harlequin Tusk does SWF sell?

tervman

Can someone tell me if the Harlequin Tusk that SWF sells is from Australia or the Indian Ocean. The photo on the HT page looks like the Australian variety, but the Origin says Indian Ocean.
Thanks.

aquaknight

99.9% of the time, if you aren't paying $150+ retail for a Tusk, it's not an Australian Tusk. The photo on SWF's website is not the Tusk they sell, but actually of Saltwaterfish.com member, Reefboys. I also would agree and say he's an Austrailian.

tervman

That's what I figured. However, if SWF sells the Indian Ocean variety, I wonder why they have the Australian variety as their photo representation???

srfisher17

Originally Posted by tervman
http:///forum/post/2593300
That's what I figured. However, if SWF sells the Indian Ocean variety, I wonder why they have the Australian variety as their photo representation???

They had a photo contest. The pic IS an Aussie (the red tail edge is a sure sign) and they sell the I.O. variety. I've e-mailed them without success. The Aussie is a far superior fish in every way, IMO. They are much more attractive (IMO), more robust, and hardier. I think all Australian fish, like Hawaiian, do better because of the strict enforcement of capture laws. I believe (but am not 100% sure) that the same is true for some other places; like Christmas Island, Tahiti, Fiji, and others. When I just see that a fish is from the I.O.; that doesn't say much; where in the huge I.O.? Cyanide and other primitive capture methods are still used in many I.O. locations. I like to do biz with SWF and trust their fish I don't hesitate to buy from them. I do my homework, but would really be mad if I didn't get the fish in the pic. The whole idea of the contest, if I remember right, was to get pics that better represented the fish they stock. The tusk in their listing is a beautiful fish; but I'll bet the farm it is an Australian specimen. BTW, speaking of capture methods, I believe most Aust tusks are caught by divers using a baited barbless hook, very quick & humane capture, IMO.