Which Heater?

cedarreef

I have a 46gal bowfront tank with a 10-15gal sump. My current heater bumped up the temp to 82 and is stuck on even though I have it on the lowest setting at the moment... I'm going to stay up all night to keep an eye on the temp and go tomorrow to buy a new heater... Which brand do you suggest and how many watts? Also, where should I run it? I currently have mine in the fuge section of my sump. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

meowzer

I like the Marineland Stealth.....I also have mine for my 225G in my refugium...
I'm not sure on the wattage....it will say on the package though

cedarreef

I was looking at the stealth as well. Should I go for total water volume or just the tank for the most accuracy? About how close is your temp to what you have it set as?

bswe22

I have a Stealth heater in my 55 gal. Cichlid tank. I have it set at 78 and it holds the tank right at 78. I am going to be putting one in my reef tank next month. The one I have in there now fluctuates from 78 up to 81.

cedarreef

Ok, yesterday I went out and bought the 2 heaters and put both in my fuge on opposite sides from each other. I have them both set to 78, but when I woke up and checked the temperature, it was 74 and the heaters were both showing the green off light. Do I just have really bad luck with heaters?

meowzer

Originally Posted by CedarReef
http:///forum/post/3195425
Ok, yesterday I went out and bought the 2 heaters and put both in my fuge on opposite sides from each other. I have them both set to 78, but when I woke up and checked the temperature, it was 74 and the heaters were both showing the green off light. Do I just have really bad luck with heaters?
LOL....sometimes thay are off a degree of two....just watch the temp, and if you have to adjust accordingly

cedarreef

I had them both vertically in the fuge where the knob was sticking out of the water... After seeing this, I put them diagonally on opposite sides so they were fully submerged and they kicked on. The temp is about 76 and I think they kicked off again. I might set them to 80 now.

meowzer

Originally Posted by CedarReef
http:///forum/post/3195519
I had them both vertically in the fuge where the knob was sticking out of the water... After seeing this, I put them diagonally on opposite sides so they were fully submerged and they kicked on. The temp is about 76 and I think they kicked off again. I might set them to 80 now.
In my 225G...I have the 2 heaters completely submerged..in the sump..and right next to each other
IDK...I would find it hard to believe you got 2 bad ones though.....Just give them time I guess, and watch them
(did you save the boxes..LOL)

cedarreef

I've been watching and they're going on an off at odd intervals, but the temp is rising to 78. I think they just might need some time to break in. Everything looks good as of now, though. Just in case, I did save the boxes! lol =]

lluv24

well ive had great luck with Eheim JAGER Heater..........usually dead on temp. good luck.............

tank a holic

Are you reading the temp in the DT??
how much flow is going through your sump?
the water is probubly 78 at the heater causing it to kick off, put them in an area with more flow, they may be in a partially dead spot in the corner