Should I....
(1)
2x95w VHO's
1x175x MH
Total watts: 365
(2)
4x95w VHO's?
Total watts: 380
I was thinking if i use a MH instead of all VHO's I would be able to actually have more coral choices...Maybe?

viper_930

I'd go with the first choice. Is there any way you can get a 150 watt DE or 250 watt mogul instead of the 175 watt? Either of those bulbs would be better than the 175 IMO.

msd2

id go with option 1 also, but I would be lury on going to a bigger bulb. Heat and light will be getting up there esp on a 45gal. but thats just my opinion.

russianspy

Originally posted by ViPeR_930
I'd go with the first choice. Is there any way you can get a 150 watt DE or 250 watt mogul instead of the 175 watt? Either of those bulbs would be better than the 175 IMO.

Whats wrong with a 175 MH?
I don't know what a mugol is!

viper_930

The difference between a mogul and a double-ended bulb is that a double ended bulb puts out more light energy watt for watt.
70w DE = 150/175 mogul
150w DE = 250w mogul
250w DE = 400w mogul
A mogul bulb has the screw in type socket, and a DE has two ends that contact the sockets on both ends.

flatzboy

I say go with option 1 but try to get a 250 watt de they run cooler then the mogul base ones. Also what is the length of your tank and depth.

flatzboy

With that length and depth you should realy go with or you probably have big shadows on each side. I would with maybe 2x150 watt hqi because there more intense for your deep tank.

msd2

Originally posted by ViPeR_930
The difference between a mogul and a double-ended bulb is that a double ended bulb puts out more light energy watt for watt.
70w DE = 150/175 mogul
150w DE = 250w mogul
250w DE = 400w mogul
A mogul bulb has the screw in type socket, and a DE has two ends that contact the sockets on both ends.

So whats the catch? My mama always told me you don't get something for nothing :D
I did some checking and they really dont cost much more and if your numbers are correct thats a huge difference in energy consuption. Do the bulbs burnout quick? produce massive amounts of heat?