which light is better?

dmjordan

trying to find out which one is better as far as quality and performance:
aquactinics tx5 or tek 4 bulb unit. this will be for a 55 gal tank.

dmjordan

think i am lening more towards the tx5 unit but i don't hear much (good or bad) about them. i like the fact that they are narrower so i get the extra bulb with less space. my only concern is that since the bulb configuration is in a "v" does it effect the bulbs, shorten the life span, create less usable light, etc...

The dome on the TX5 actually focuses more of the light into the tank.It doesn't shorten the lifespan at all.Both are good fixture,the Aquactinics are better though.Google Aquactinics and you should find alot of positive stuff on those lights.

dmjordan

thanks for the info. your location always gets me because my wife works in clarksville, maryland.

dmjordan

what do you think would be the best bulb configuration for the tx5 and which bulbs are better-uvl or geisemann?

Actually ATI is a little better than the UV and Geiseman.(this is according to a test done on the big site.)I hate to recommend bulb selection because everyone has there own personal taste on what look and growth.This is my choice which is bluish,you can always ask the T5 guru on that big site.
ATI Blue Plus
UV Aquasun 10k(pinkish daylight bulb similar to VHO)
UV Super Actinic
GE 6500k
ATI Blue plus(more blue look) or ATI 12k(slight blue hue daylight)
Best of luck.
Here are my bulbs fired up.You can get an idea on what they look like.BTW,its a Aquactinics fixture.
Left to right in the pics:
ATI Blue Plus
Sfiligoi Super Actinic
UV Aquasun 10k
ATI Blue Plus
GE 3000k
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue Special 12k
2nd. row the same.

harris28

I have the Tx5 and love it!!!! I have had it for about a month now and am glad I got it. I have it on my 75gal. This is the config I use. I would have gone for another blue or actinic because I like the bluer look better but even with this it looks absolutly amazing!!!!!! I hear the Giessman bulbs actully have poor PAR that's why I stuck with ULV and ATI.
UV Aquasun 10k
ATI Blue Plus
ATI 12k
GE 6500k
UV Super Actinic

dmjordan

Originally Posted by Harris28
I have the Tx5 and love it!!!! I have had it for about a month now and am glad I got it. I have it on my 75gal. This is the config I use. I would have gone for another blue or actinic because I like the bluer look better but even with this it looks absolutly amazing!!!!!! I hear the Giessman bulbs actully have poor PAR that's why I stuck with ULV and ATI.
UV Aquasun 10k
ATI Blue Plus
ATI 12k
GE 6500k
UV Super Actinic
did you buy the ati bulbs seperate. the one i am looking at sells with either geisseman or uvl bulbs

harris28

Where I bought mine from you had your choice of ULV, ATI, Geissman, and GE. I got the fixture, 5 bulbs, and shipped for $480

dmjordan

Originally Posted by Harris28
Where I bought mine from you had your choice of ULV, ATI, Geissman, and GE. I got the fixture, 5 bulbs, and shipped for $480
looks like i need to do some more research. the one i looked at is like $479.95 and it doesn't have the shipping in it yet and they only offer uvl, geisseman, and one ge bulb. read some blogs and everyone seems to prefer the ati bulbs

dmjordan

have to do some research to find out which bulbs (all of the various actinics, etc.) would be good for color and growth of sps.....i want to try my hand at some and get away from the softie stuff.