Which Lighting option is better...

jbatjr

Right now I have a 48" 90 gallon fish only with live rock, running a cheap pc, lighting system. I am now ready to upgrade my lights so that I can start adding all kinds of corals to it. Which is the better option in your opinion and which would you recommend. I am not worried about the price difference between them, I just want what is best for my tank.
for $189
48" Metal Halide Basic 500W
This MH Basic 48” 500W is frugal on price, but not on performance. A space saving combo unit combines 2x 250W HQI metal halide and 6x Bluemoon LED into one single unit. This unit features external HQI controller, cooling fan, mounting legs, and anodized aluminum housing. Individual power cords and power switches maximizes usability. Great for planted or marine aquariums.
Features:
* Dimensions - 47.50” x 8.15” x 2.50”
* Dimensions w/brackets - 48.00” x 11.00” x 5.75”
* Total wattage: 500W
* Supports 2x 250W HQI FC2 lamps
* Supports 6x Bluemoon LED
* Individual power cords for each function
* External HQI controllers
* Non-corrosive powder coated aluminum housing
* Cooling fan
* Tempered glass splash guard
* Highly polished reflector
* Optional hanging kit suspends fixture
* CE Certified
Listing includes:
* 1x MH fixture and all ballasts
* 1x Mounting Bracket (Free Item)
* 2x MH 250W 15000K (Free Item)
* 6x Bluemoon LED (Free Item)
for $350
48" Metal Halide ADV+ T5 716W
This MH ADV+ T5 48” is THE reefer’s light. A space saving combo unit combines 2x 250W HQI metal halide, 4x 54W Actinic Blue T5 HO lamps, and 6x Bluemoon LED into one single unit. This unit also features external HQI controller, heavy duty cooling fan, mounting legs, and anodized aluminum housing. Individual power cords and power switches maximizes usability and timer ready!
Features:
* Dimensions - 47.50” x 15.00” x 3.00”
* Dimensions w/brackets - 48.00” x 18.00” x 6.25”
* Supports 2x 250W HQI FC2 lamps
* Supports 4x 54W T5 HO lamps
* Supports 6x dual Bluemoon LED
* Individual power cords for each function
* External HQI controllers
* Internal T5 fluorescent ballasts
* Non-corrosive powder coated aluminum housing
* Heavy duty cooling fan
* Tempered glass splash guard
* Mounting legs
* Standard T5 sockets
* Double Ended FC2 HQI sockets
* Highly polished reflector
* CE Certified
Listing includes:
* 1x MH/T5 fixture and all ballasts
* 1x Mounting Bracket (Free Item)
* 2x MH 250W 15000K (Free Item)
* 4x 54W T5 HO Actinic Blue (Free Item)
* 6x Dual LED (Free Item)

jbatjr

The Nova Extreme Pro is 6 HOT5's for 320 watts, and the aquactinics is 5 HOT5's at 270 watts each, the Tek is 8 HOT5's for 432 watts, for a 90 gallon I was told you want 4.5 watts to 5 watts per gallon to handle anything I would want to do in the future. That would mean I would need 405 watts to 450 watts min. is that correct?
Lighting is the one this that drives me nuts, lol.

btldreef

I think the second light you list is more that enough for a 90 gallon. The nova extremes are great,but the stock bulbs suck and you'll need to replace the immediately to get any sort of results. So for the money, get metal halides.

braydonosu

Watts per gallon is old school - now people have better access to photo meters (although they are still pretty expensive). Penetration is what you should look for in a light.
I'm a big fan of the individually reflected T5's because I don't want to run a chiller. The look of MH's are super cool though and I have to sacrifice that. Of the 2 halides that you listed, the second would be my recommendation - the actinics are great for color and viewing after the halides go off.
These do sound a lot like the odyssea lights from aqua-traders, if they are a lot of people say a lot of bad things about them (most I'm sure have never used them) If they are they are not UL listed (Underwriters Laboratory). Not a huge deal to me, but a lot of people use this as evidence that they are not safe. Just keep an eye on the fixture and make sure that everything is running well.
On a side note, as said above, stock bulbs in fixtures are usually not what you will ultimately want be it Halide or T5.

jbatjr

Thank you all for your replies, I have found these on ---- and do not know the brand. Maybe I can go with the Outer Orbit 48" with 4 HO/T5, 2x150W 10K HQI. model # 1072B they have the individually reflexed HOT5's and a mix of white and blue leds individually controled 9 of each.
I can get a refurbished unit there.