Which lights should I get for my 180?

mmync

I need to get some lights for my 180g tank and not sure what to get and how to get them. For now my tank is just going to be fish only with live rock. However, I am sure that in the future I will want to get into reefs a little. I really dont have alot of money to spend but at the same time I dont want to have to buy lights twice. So what do you guys recommend the way to go is, also how do I get them. Is there a good place to buy from such as website, newspaper, e-bay or should I try building them myself. I do have a friend that owns an electrican company so there might be a chance I can get ballasts or whatever else I might need from him if I do have to build it myself. My tank is 180 gallons, 67" long 24" deep and there is know hood or canopy on it. Thanks for your help everyone:)

slick

I would use VHO lighting if I was you. Right now you could just run two bulbs off a ice cap 660. Then when you decide to do a reef you could add 2 more VHO or get a few MH's.

jarvis

I agree with slick. Ice cap 660 is a good ballast. Also if your building a canopy yourself keep in mind to make it up gradeable in the future incase you want to go reef. I built a canopy for a 150 and I want to get into a reef. I really can't add more lights without it looking horable. Guess I will be fireing up the table saw within the next year.