Which one will you use????

nissan577

i have the 28g nano led
but my sps lost the colors it had when i had the sunpod 150w phoenix bulb with it.
im considering going back to a HQI but a clip on from coralife i think or its viper idk its also a 150w mh to get the color back and let the sps grow like crazy. which one will you use????
LED

Metal Halide Sunpod 14k 150w

acropora12

I say go with the MH Carlos.....I have heard to many stories about LEDs making your SPS look like crap...so yeah MH.

nissan577

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acropora12 http:///forum/thread/381723/which-one-will-you-use#post_3326718
I say go with the MH Carlos.....I have heard to many stories about LEDs making your SPS look like crap...so yeah MH.
thanks, i found a clip on for 130. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/thread/381723/which-one-will-you-use#post_3326730
I'd say go with what looks better....so MH
mom thankyou for responding :) now i am thinking about getting it, but i will like more opinions on it as well. were is henry when you need him and nanonewb?
how much should i sell the led if i was to sell it?

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan577 http:///forum/thread/381723/which-one-will-you-use#post_3326735
thanks, i found a clip on for 130. :)
mom thankyou for responding :) now i am thinking about getting it, but i will like more opinions on it as well. were is henry when you need him and nanonewb?
how much should i sell the led if i was to sell it?
No clue on resale ....sorry.....Henry I am sure is sound asleep...which is where I am going....LOL....
I definitely think you should get more opinions too......But you aer the one lookig at them....will the sps regain the color with led's in time.......or will they always be dull??? that is what i would want to know

nissan577

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acropora12 http:///forum/thread/381723/which-one-will-you-use#post_3326737
What is the specifics of the LEDs you have? That will determine how much you can get out of it.
this is from their website

Lighting:

Light Cycle

LED Wattage

Color

Current

Hours

LUMENS per LED

Daylight

25 x 3W

700mA

120im

Dawn/Dusk

4 x 3W

466nm

700mA

33im

Moon

2 x 1W

456nm

350mA

15im

nissan577

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/381723/which-one-will-you-use#post_3326739
No clue on resale ....sorry.....Henry I am sure is sound asleep...which is where I am going....LOL....
I definitely think you should get more opinions too......But you aer the one lookig at them....will the sps regain the color with led's in time.......or will they always be dull??? that is what i would want to know
thats what i wanna know as well :( cause i have 2 red planets, and the hawkins and many other rare sps that i dont know the name lol but they are not showing their true colors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acropora12
http:///forum/thread/381723/which-one-will-you-use#post_3326746
I have been told by Corey that they are pretty dull with LEDs Meowzer...as in they won't regain color.
you have any info on that acro?

acrylic51

LED's..., finding the right color combinations is the key, and that is being played with now. Corey and others could confirm there is a belief some of what the stock/ traditional LED units with just the white and blue LED's are missing the UV that corals also need... Again LED's are in it's infancy stage.

2quills

It is my personal believe from that the traditional mix of white and blues is lacking a little bit in the color spectrum of what SPS need. Thanks to the others who's gone before us this is what they are finding in their tanks as well. I think that LED's can and are still the way to go but finding the proper color mix as well as adding some u.v. to the mix would benefit the hard corals greatly. They do make u.v. leds but all of the other colors don't produce any u.v. Since SPS recieve alot of light in the oceans from being in shallower waters they recieve more light in a wider range of the specturm. They have floursecent pigments in them that they develop as protection against u.v. which is something that they won't produce or that you'll never see without it. So I'd say that unless you can modify them I'd probably go back to the Halides.
Currious though, other than the loss of color are they still growing at all? What about your other corals, how have they done?

nissan577

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/381723/which-one-will-you-use#post_3326790
It is my personal believe from that the traditional mix of white and blues is lacking a little bit in the color spectrum of what SPS need. Thanks to the others who's gone before us this is what they are finding in their tanks as well. I think that LED's can and are still the way to go but finding the proper color mix as well as adding some u.v. to the mix would benefit the hard corals greatly. They do make u.v. leds but all of the other colors don't produce any u.v. Since SPS recieve alot of light in the oceans from being in shallower waters they recieve more light in a wider range of the specturm. They have floursecent pigments in them that they develop as protection against u.v. which is something that they won't produce or that you'll never see without it. So I'd say that unless you can modify them I'd probably go back to the Halides.
Currious though, other than the loss of color are they still growing at all? What about your other corals, how have they done?
to answer your question i saw more growth more the halides then LED but as of now i really cant say.
the other corals i have also did lose some color but not like the sps but they are growing no matter what.
thankyou all for your info and opinions. i will make my decision tonight :)

wangotango

+1 with the LED combination argument. More and more people are starting to play with different combinations rather than the 1:1 RB/CW. Adding red, cyan, and blue in addition to that helps a lot. You have to play around with it for a while and give stuff time to react. I havn't read too much that's convincing that says that the lack of UV is the sole reason for failing color. Regardless, that many LEDs is going to seriously outperform a 150w halide in terms of PAR.
For every browned-out SPS tank with LEDs there's at least the same number if not more that have beautifully colored colonies. It's been done for years.

acrylic51

Agree!!!!!! I have seen tanks with the UV LED's utilized and it is rather impressive the look it adds, but still to early on to see if there is any real benefit, but as Wango clearer pointed out the addition of other colors....
Quote:
Originally Posted by WangoTango http:///forum/thread/381723/which-one-will-you-use#post_3326930
+1 with the LED combination argument. More and more people are starting to play with different combinations rather than the 1:1 RB/CW. Adding red, cyan, and blue in addition to that helps a lot. You have to play around with it for a while and give stuff time to react. I havn't read too much that's convincing that says that the lack of UV is the sole reason for failing color. Regardless, that many LEDs is going to seriously outperform a 150w halide in terms of PAR.
For every browned-out SPS tank with LEDs there's at least the same number if not more that have beautifully colored colonies. It's been done for years.

2quills

Not so sure u.v. is the reason for loss of color either. It's more for asthetics as it causes the corals to flouresce like crazy. I don't think it's vital for growth though. Just a cool look to be able to turn them on from time to time. Agreed that there needs to be more colors added to fill in where some of the other wavelengths are missing.

wangotango

Actincs can also cause certain corals to flourescence more. Actinics are also very dim in comparison and that effect is usually lost once the rest of the lights come on. Think of UV in a similar way. It can cause flourescence, but remember you cannot "see" UV wavelengths. I wonder how much of the flourescence effect that could be cause by the addition of UV LEDs (which exist) would be lost by a poorly-chosen LED combination....