Which power heads to use?

rapt0r32

I can't speak on the maxi-jets but I have used penguins 550's and 1140's for all of my tanks. In my 55 I use 4 power heads. The 2 1140's and in the corners pointing into the tank and the 550's are more towards the middle pointing UP to stir up the surface water. When I had my 125 I built a spray bar close to what broomer had for his tank so I didn't need as many PH's...
I guess what everyone ( including myself ) would be as much flow as you can without the clutter.

cordell

so it's just a long pvc that stretches across the back with holes along it that spray the water into the tank? Is it above or just below the water?

elfdoctors

If Maxi jets are so great, and seem to be endorsed by a moderator, why doesn't swf.com sell them? They only have Rios. In only a few months I have had several Rios break down already. I would like to get a Maxi jet but haven't been able to find a reputable supplier that I trust. Are the moderators allowed to suggest somewhere to purchase these?

T

thomas712

elfdoctors - For the record I own 2 Rio 2500 and use one all the time, sometimes I use the other for mixing salt.
The moderators are not on the buisness end of this site, we are only volunteers here on the Bulletin Board, nothing more, we do not control products sold.
I also use Maxi Jets in my tank and see no reason to ever change as they (and the Rios) have so far served me well. The Rio's have caused me to maintain them much more than the Maxi jets, but I don't use them as power heads.
If it were me I would love to see them sell Maxi jets here.
Thomas

T

thomas712

Originally posted by cordell
Is it above or just below the water?

Below the surface of the water,-- to high and it could suck some air, to low and if the power goes off then it could syphon to much water back into your sump.
Thomas

txreefer

I have been reading on another website (I don't know if I am allowed to post the site so I won't), about a return manifold. It is made out of PVC pipe and it has nozzles on it to act like powerheads. (I guess in a way it is like a spraybar.) Another thing about it is that it is made the same size as your tank so it forms a "ring" around the top of your tank. You can add as many or as few nozzles as you like and have your choice of placement. The website also talked about how to make the nozzles adjustable. The author of the article said that this is a great idea for 2 reasons: 1-lack of electrical parts in your tank (cuts down the number of powerheads) 2-Since there are fewer powerheads, there will be less heat in the tank.
Has anyone ever tried something like this? Or have any opinion on it?

T

thomas712

Originally posted by txreefer
Another thing about it is that it is made the same size as your tank so it forms a "ring" around the top of your tank. You can add as many or as few nozzles as you like and have your choice of placement.
Has anyone ever tried something like this? Or have any opinion on it?

Sounds like mine, yes I could add more extenders to make a ring so to speak but as kip stated it would be really week flow from the end of the spraybar unless you could say plum a MJ1200 into it. Which can happen. The end of my spraybar is just sort of an endcap that can be removed, hose attatched to the end of spraybar and to a power head, should be no problem.
You could even just make a modular spraybar down the side of your tank that runs water current along the rockwork in back by attaching a powerhead, if done right there would be no back syphon at all.
Thomas

cordell

thanks for the advice guys.. I just got a set of 3 maxijet900s. Maybe sometime in the future I will look into the spray bar.. I like the idea and all. I'll see how three work out, and if not enough for the 75gal, I'll get another one.
picking up my tank/stand/canopy tomarrow, btw... yeayy! :joy: gotta take it home, stain it.. bring it back to my apt.. should take a week b/c I can't be home every day and home is 60miles away..
cordell

justchillin

Originally posted by Thomas712
Cordell here is a breakdown on the watts per MJ power head.
Maxi Jets Wattage:
600 = 7.5 watts per hour
900 = 8.5 watts per hour
1200 = 20 watts per hour!!!
Model V/Hz Consumption
(in watts)
Maximum
Flow
Maximum
Pumping Ht.
Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price*
l/h g/h meters inches
MP400 120/60 5 400 106 .73 29 $27.90
MP600 120/60 7.5 600 160 1.35 53 $32.85
MP900 120/60 8.5 870 230 1.17 46 $38.40
MP1200 120/60 20 1110 295 1.74 69 $42.85
Sure there is a difference of 65 gph between the 1200 and 900 but its still a good flow and you save on the electricity in the long run. I always like to suggest one extra for emergancy's or for mixing new saltwater.
Thomas

wow are those prices from a lfs??? i got my mj1200's for like $24 each....

justchillin

Originally posted by Thomas712
Cordell here is a breakdown on the watts per MJ power head.
Maxi Jets Wattage:
600 = 7.5 watts per hour
900 = 8.5 watts per hour
1200 = 20 watts per hour!!!
Model V/Hz Consumption
(in watts)
Maximum
Flow
Maximum
Pumping Ht.
Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price*
l/h g/h meters inches
MP400 120/60 5 400 106 .73 29 $27.90
MP600 120/60 7.5 600 160 1.35 53 $32.85
MP900 120/60 8.5 870 230 1.17 46 $38.40
MP1200 120/60 20 1110 295 1.74 69 $42.85
Sure there is a difference of 65 gph between the 1200 and 900 but its still a good flow and you save on the electricity in the long run. I always like to suggest one extra for emergancy's or for mixing new saltwater.
Thomas

T

thomas712

Originally posted by justchillin

Oh no those are simply figures straight from the manufacture. Last time I purchased a MJ1200 it only cost me 19.95 + shipping and everything else I ordered so even $24 isn't a bad price. My LFS asks for $43 bucks for the 1200, jeeze :eek:
Thomas