Which protien skimmer for a 55 Gallon

greymach

Hi, i have a 55 gallon tank with 50#s of LR and 60#s of LS. I have a canister filter on it right now and two power heads. One is a ViaAqua 1800 and the other is a small Rio 90. I want to make it into a reef tank and i know i need a protien skimmer. I do not have a sump or anything like that and i want the kind that hangs on the back. I really do not know anything about them so if someone could teach me and maybe send me a link of where to get a good one would be nice too. Thanks

greymach

did u get it with the MaxiJet 1200 or the Mag 3 pump. Which would somebody recommend. I found it on the auction site for 164 shipped. Is that a good price? It is brand new btw

sugarfox03

I have one of those on my 24 gal. I love it. I got mine from the same place, same price. I got it with the MJ 1200. I just ordered a Pro for my 105 gal. I love the Remora's, go for it!!

famous

I got mine for 164 on there too. That guy is great to buy from he ships very fast...California to Florida in just a couple of days! Good luck I love mine.

greymach

So is the Aqua C Remora a good name brand skimmer? I want to make sure it is a good one so i just have to buy one and not realize later that it isnt good enough. THanks for the replies

greymach

So is the Aqua C Remora a good name brand skimmer? I want to make sure it is a good one so i just have to buy one and not realize later that it isnt good enough. THanks for the replies

salty tank

i dont get how people dont have a sump. I love the sump, i have a ruge and my P.S. all hidden. Plus its like having a 80 gallon istead of a 65 gallon for me.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by GreyMach
It's an excellant skimmer for your size tank!!! I bought mine the same price as well with the 1200 pump, you can also look up *********** and once you get pass $175, it's free shipping. I would purchase the pre-filter box along with it if I were you! Cause it'll make a ton of micro-bubbles if you don't use one, it still makes some, but not as bad..... :happyfish

greymach

Hey the one from ---- comes with...The new and improved Remora skimmers come with an injector clean-out plug, a cleaning brush, and a thick o-ring for collection cup placement.
Does it come standard with that stuff cause on marine depot they were selling them seperate i think. I see they are the same price but if those are seperate then getting form ---- seems smarter. But, they dont sell the prebox filter on there though. Im gonna get it but just gotta figure out where now. Anyone else wanna chime in with something better or is this the best?

dmjordan

did u get it with the MaxiJet 1200 or the Mag 3 pump. Which would somebody recommend. I found it on the auction site for 164 shipped. Is that a good price? It is brand new btw
i got mine with the maxijet 1200.

jsab

I too have a 55 and the remora aqua C. I think it does great for that size tank. The only caution I would give is that since it hangs on the back of the tank, if you have set up the tank too close to the wall, you will not be able to fit it on the back. You could consider placing it on the side, but I am not sure if I would like the looks of that...just my opinion. Also, the in tank pump isn't the most eye pleasing. I am in the process of converting to a refugium with skimmer to get that pump out of my tank.

mikeyjer

Hey the one from ---- comes with...The new and improved Remora skimmers come with an injector clean-out plug, a cleaning brush, and a thick o-ring for collection cup placement.
Does it come standard with that stuff cause on marine depot they were selling them seperate i think. I see they are the same price but if those are seperate then getting form ---- seems smarter. But, they dont sell the prebox filter on there though. Im gonna get it but just gotta figure out where now. Anyone else wanna chime in with something better or is this the best?
Mine has a injector clean out plug and it also came with a cleaning brush and the o-ring so it's a standard sale at ***********, but you do have to purchase the prefilter box separately!!! I did not do that, thankfully someone near by was giving one away. Just make sure the back of your tank is at least 5" away from the wall!!!! I place mine in the sump now.... :happyfish

greymach

Nice, thanks everyone. I will order it tomorrow and hopefully get some new fish and a BTA becuase ive had damsels for about 2 weeks now. I am ready for a clown and an anenome.

mikeyjer

Nice, thanks everyone. I will order it tomorrow and hopefully get some new fish and a BTA becuase ive had damsels for about 2 weeks now. I am ready for a clown and an anenome.
Your not ready for an anemone, didn't you just started this tank??? What type of lighting do you have right now?? You need to take this process slow and you need a lot of patience!!!! Don't rush into anything and stock it full of fish. You need to start with only a few at a time!!! :happyfish

greymach

Hey i just ordered the skimmer with the overflow box and maxijet 1200. I was saying that after a couple weeks with the skimmer ill get the anenome and clown. the tank has been runing for about 3 weeks now.

mikeyjer

Hey i just ordered the skimmer with the overflow box and maxijet 1200. I was saying that after a couple weeks with the skimmer ill get the anenome and clown. the tank has been runing for about 3 weeks now.
Even if you start at 5 weeks, your tank still isn't mature enough to keep anemone!!! IMO, your moving too fast...If I remember right, you've got some fish in there already. At 3 weeks, it's quite early to add fish...I didn't even add my first fish until my tank's been 2 months old, I was using 100 lbs of live rock from a mature tank. You should not add a anemone until your tank is well established and that can take up to a year or more. You need to start reading..... Good Luck! :happyfish