Which pump?

schneidts

Hi all,
Well, we finally bought a house, and I plan on making some setup changes. :happy:
I am going to setup a very large fuge/sump in the basement, and run it up to the display upstairs. I imagine it's a good 12' from the sump to display. I'd like to shoot for a pretty high turnover (15-20x per hr in my 75 including a couple powerheads), but I don't know alot about the performance of the various pumps out there. What should I be shopping for? Any recomedations?

jb rekit

I would get a high pressure application external pump. They come in various sizes so just look at the chart for how much head there will be and get the one that suits your needs.
Also a more practical route may be to get a smaller high pressure application external pump that will support your refugium needs in the basement (i.e much less that 15-20X turnover) and then do a closed loop up top that won't have any head to battle as well as being able to keep micro bubbles out by not having that much water pouring through your sump.

jb rekit

And some brands are IWAKI, HD, GENX, and Dolphin. I'm sure there are more high pressure pumps out there, these were just the ones I could think of off the top of my head.

schneidts

Originally Posted by JB Rekit
I would get a high pressure application external pump. They come in various sizes so just look at the chart for how much head there will be and get the one that suits your needs.
Also a more practical route may be to get a smaller high pressure application external pump that will support your refugium needs in the basement (i.e much less that 15-20X turnover) and then do a closed loop up top that won't have any head to battle as well as being able to keep micro bubbles out by not having that much water pouring through your sump.
Well, I certainly don't want that much turnover in my fuge, just in the display (and sump). In your suggestion above, is your idea to have the fuge/tank independent of each other? If so that won't fit my needs. I will do some reasearch on the pumps you suggested. Thanks.

robchuck

Any Iwaki pump with the 'RLT' designation is a pressure rated pump ('RLXT' designations on Iwaki pumps are for high-flow/low-pressure applications) and will work well for your situation. As JB mentioned, take a look at the charts for these pumps and find one that pushes the appropriate amount of flow (in your opinion) at your head pressure).

jb rekit

I was just talking about the conventional fuge/sump below the tank (in your case the basement). And instead of buying a huge pump that will not be very efficient pumping that high, to get a smaller one that fits the needs of your fuge/sump and then get another one to make up the difference in water flow that you desire in your display tank. That pump would just be used for a closed loop (sucks water out of the tank and puts it right back in for circulation).
Whatever your plans are for the sump refugium etc. I wasn't suggesting changing that, just recommending a more efficient way to make what you were wanting to accomplish work.
If you understand what I am talking about let me know...If not maybe someone else could chime in and help me explain it better.

cannarella

Try looking at the Blueline series. I am will be doing the same thing on a 65. The main thing I have found is to make sure you use a larger diamater pipe once you leave the pump to reduce the friction. I will be useing 1.5" on my supply to the tank. I used the Head Loss Calc over on reefcentrals site to check my flow with different pumps. The calc is on the main page on the left column. I am looking at the Blueline HD 55. I have 15' to pump vertical and 20'+ horizontal and it says I will get 665GPH on 1.5" pipe with as many twists and turns as I want. The key is going to be using a large size pipe to reduce the friction.
Andy

schneidts

Cool, thanks. Sounds like you've got a little more distance to worry about. I'll check out the calculator. I'm looking at a couple BIG pumps.

acrylic51

Sequence makes some really nice pumps. Also look at the wattage these pumps use when making your finally choice on a pump