Which salt mix are you using??

kjohansen

I have been out of FOWLW tanks for over 15 years. I am in a position to set up a new tank.
I am curious what everyone is doing for their salt mix?
I was using Instant Ocean salt before.
My new tanks will be full reef systems. The main tank is going to be a 125 gallon.

dbmtrman

I was using Reef Crystals and my calcium levels were 440 to 460. I usually buy the large bucket for 160 gallons of saltwater. The last two times I got a good deal on the Instant Ocean Salt. But now my calcium levels have dropped to about 320. If you have a reef system you should have calcium levels at least 400. I am switching back to the Reef Crystals.

seasalt101

right now i am mixing my first batch of reef crystals i'm getting ready to go reef in a few weeks and want to get a few wc's in 1st of the reef salt, i was using io with no calcium problems at all ecept maybe too high around 500-520 so i'm watching this thread closely...tobin

chub

I use IO and have a calcium reading of around 300. When I run out I'll try another brand of some kind

azfishgal

I've been using Tropic Marin and last time I mixed some saltwater I used Reef Crystals. With Tropic Marin I seemed to always get this film on my mixing container and on my PH and heater, but it never transfered to my DT. This first batch of Reef Crystals didn't have a film at all, my calcium level was also a little higher, 420, which I like. So I think I'm going to keep using Reef Crystals.

40 galons

reef crystals. from my test calcium is around 420.. i like it

anonome

125 reef tank, used Instant Ocean and calcium stayed at 400. Switched to Reef Crystals and it now stays at 440ppm. Love the results. I'm a die hard Reef Crystal fan.