Which salt?

bluemantr

Hi
My lfs has 3 different type of salt mixes. Which slat would be good for reef tank?
Instant Ocean, Instant Ocean reef crystals and Kent sea salt.
Thanks

joker3762

I use HW Marinemix Professional,- its a little more expensive but seems to mix really well and be more accurate.

joker3762

My lfs also sells Instant Ocean. So I imagine if I were to go with a different one it would be Instant Ocean. I would definatly do some research or see if your lfs can special order a different kind

m0nk

I'm using Instant Ocean, but I know a guy going to school to be a marine biologist who also does home reef tanks. In one of his classes they were taught that Instant Ocean salt adds phosphates to the water, even though the packaging says it doesn't. They tested, and sure enough, phosphates were detected. He recommended Oceanic brand, which is actually a little less expensive anyway. Needless to say, when my current stock of IO salt runs out, I'll be using Oceanic.

catawaba

Of the three you listed, I'd go with the IO Reef Crystals. You may have to buffer/supplement it however.

lion_crazz

Of the 3, I would probably just go with Instant Ocean and buffer as neccessary. A buddy of mine just got rid of 2 buckets of Reef Crystals because the dkH was 14 and 16.

bluemantr

Which buffer i should use? I am using RO/DI water i always have to buffer for ph. What else i should use with IO salt?

earlybird

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Of the 3, I would probably just go with Instant Ocean and buffer as neccessary. A buddy of mine just got rid of 2 buckets of Reef Crystals because the dkH was 14 and 16.
I understand that people shouldn't buffer for pH but could someone elaborate on buffering salt mixes?