Which tank to house baby dogface?

sueandherzoo

I've got the LFS holding a tiny dogface puffer for me. They only got him in last night so I don't want to take him home yet -- I want to make sure he's healthy and eating before I take him home. From what I've read they are really peaceful and passive when they are this small (about 1.5") but become VERY aggressive once they're grown. Since he's so tiny and "peaceful" at this age I'm hesitant to put him in the aggressive tank which will be his home -- do you think I should put him in my 46 gallon seahorse tank while he's tiny? I know that puffers with seahorses is a major "no no" but this guy is so small I don't think he'd be a threat. Of course then the problem would be knowing when it's time for him to move OUT of the horse tank and into the aggressive tank. By the time I realize it's time to move him it might be too late for one of the seahorses.
Your thoughts? I'm probalby not going to pick him up for about a week so I have some time to figure this out.
Sue

culp

i would put him in the aggressive tank over the seahorse tank. but i would feel even better getting a 29 gallon tank because you can get them cheap a hang on back filter and some live rock and put him in there until he grows.

sueandherzoo

OK, thanks for getting that silly idea out of my head. I would be so devastated and full of guilt if something happened to one of the horses -- I think I just got so caught up with this adorable little guy at the LFS that I forgot I'm dealing with a potentially very aggressive fish.
I'm going to re-aquascape the aggressive tank tomorrow and make sure I create a lot of hiding places and caves for the dogface to hide in. Actually I like the idea of picking up a 29 gallon -- I could use a bigger QT tank anyway, and when I put him in the aggressive tank if he gets picked on I can always put him back in QT till he's bigger.
Thanks guys - I'm really glad no one agreed with putting him in the horse tank. That really would have been very risky.
Sue

teresaq

what about using egg create to make a divider for your lrg tank. Section off one end for a while, until it grows some.
T

sueandherzoo

I had never thought of that - great idea! I'm hoping that the baby will be able to find good hiding places in the large tank and won't get picked on, but if he DOES I need a plan and up till now my choices were to move him to the horse tank or to set up a separate tank for him till he grows. But dividing the aggressive tank might be a really good idea. I think I will have the eggcrate purchased and ready -- just in case. It would mean some re-aquascaping but at least if I have the materials on hand I can get it done quickly as soon as I see him getting picked on.
Thanks!
Sue