which wet/dry filter

tonyzick

im looking to start a new tank which filter do you recomend an eheim wet/dry canister or a an amiracle sl 150 wet dry im worried about the amiracle flooding my living room if the power goes out thats why im looking at the eheim.

sonny

If it is plumbed right, there should be no danger of flooding. If you are planning a reef, I'd recommend not using a wet-dry. If it's a fish only, look into still using live rock as your main bio-filter. Get a good protein skimmer, and you should have a great system. Live rock systems seem to be more stable, and fish live better.
SOnny

sonny

If it is plumbed right, there should be no danger of flooding. If you are planning a reef, I'd recommend not using a wet-dry. If it's a fish only, look into still using live rock as your main bio-filter. Get a good protein skimmer, and you should have a great system. Live rock systems seem to be more stable, and fish live better.
SOnny

fender

Most ppl who have wet/dry wind up turning them into a sump/refugium, which isn't a bad way to go. But using a rubbermaid container or an aquarium is cheaper.

guppie

I guess I am old school, I have been useing a wet/dry for many years with no problem. I have a Amiralce and love how it works. I don't know anything about the eheim wet/dry, but I do use one of their canister filters on my 125fo for a mech and carbon filter and love it you just have to clean it out alot. As for the amiralce flooding, If you keep the return output just below the water line then the sump will not overflow if the power goes out they also sell a check valve that you can install in the return line that will work. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck

i gotta agree with guppie i have been useing a amiracle on all of my systems and never had a flood do to a wet dry error.

uel

I have used a wet dry Aqua Medic for years with great success. If you have the water level right, it will not flood. The sump and the overflows are designed with this in mind.