white bugs

dustinwebb

i want to know what type of bugs i have in my tank. they are little white tiny tiny bugs on the side of my glass. could you tell me if they are harmful.

nacl-h2o

If they are that tiny they are probably copapods. Which look like tiny white fleas or sperm. Most common Amphipods, Isopods and Copapods are good things to have in your aquarium. That is not a good pic of an amphipod look at the other post titaled bugs I posted a pic of them there. Amphipods are about 5 or 6cm long and isopods are about 3 or 4cm long and copapods are flea size.

T

thomas712

I admit those are lousy pic but ah.
Nacl-h2o - If yours grow to 5 or 6 centimeters long I want to see them.
Hehehe - Gotcha!
Thomas

nacl-h2o

Actualy you probably do have them in there from time to time. If you have sessile animals such as sponges, tunicates, vermited snails, mussel and or oysters, they reproduce by relaesing sperm and eggs into the water column for fertilization. But don't worry it's all good, that's free coral food and the first stage larva are coral and fish food.

killafins413

The biggest thing you need to worry about is if you can't determine what they look like, look for very thin tentricles comming off of them. The small form of a Hydra looks like an anthipod (or whatever) and will grow rapdily to destroying your tank. NOt to ruin your belief but becareful. Although Hydra are most common in freshwater, and are ill to salt (or they say)... ironically, there have been numerous reports of this multi headed beast in salt water aquariums. At night i recommend you turn off your light, grab a flashlight and a magnifying glass and look at them if you can find them. Look for anything moving like hairs. If they don't have any of these hairs you should be fine... for if you look at them in a magnifying glass you will know if its an anthripod or a hydra; they look completely different upclose. If it is a hydra; then there are numerous things you can do. But what i recommend is the slowest acting beasts on the planet; BRING IN THE SNAILS. ALthough the possibility of snails killing them totally off is slim, they will leave you alone because snails will do them in.
***THe creature i am talking about is not really a Hydra, its a name used for a fresh water creature that has carried on to a new saltwater beast.