White coating on LR

algaepad

My tank is approx a month and a half old now and just today I noticed a lot of patches of a white coating starting to cover my live rock. This stuff is snow white and has really taken off. It looks like a solid coating almost like somebody painted my rock. Can somebody tell me what this is?

terryd

I have the same thing happening to my 125 established tank. I think I overdosed it with kalkwasser one day and I believe the white stuff is calcium carbonate that has fallen out of solution. I don't know yet just what to do about it though. Anyone have any suggestions?

wrassecal

I have had white coating twice. Once when my tank was fairly new and some corraline bleached out because of low lighting and once when some corraline was spreading and it started white and then turned pink and then purple. Both times it straightened itself out over a few weeks. Are you adding any trace elements like Essential Elements? Something like that might help since you are just starting out and your tank isn't stable yet.

algaepad

Yea Terryd, mine looks similar but a lot thicker in the areas where it is growing. I need to pull out my digital and start taking some pics of my tank. Havent even tried yet to see how they would turn out.
Wrassecal, what essential elements should be added? Right now I am adding Reef Builder and Turbo Calcium from Kent. My CA reading is 330-340ppm which I am learning is on the low side so I am gradually trying to bring that up.
This snow white growth really looks like corraline algae but white in color and it is growing where there wasnt any corraline before so hopefully it will turn a nice color soon. This rock that I bought did have some specks of corraline when I bought it.