White deformed Starfish....

simpdaddy

I think I have 3 or 4 little white deformed starfish in my tank right now. I was wondering if they were bad to have in there or not. My friend who sold me the tank said they've been there for a while and just all the sudden appeared one day. He saw that it wasn't harming the tank so he left them there. They come out at night and crawl around the glass.
I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this. I'll try to take a picture of one when I get home and charge my battery.

birdy

There are types of mini starfish that show up in live sandbeds they are very benefical and I would keep them in your tank. although I am not sure what you mean by deformed. post a pic if you can.

dzones

I get a lot of those as well. check this rock out...my fish love to dine on these lil guys.

spsfreak100

The majority of Asterina stars will consume coralline, although a few species have been reported as eating coral polyps, small polyped scleractinians, etc. If you notice these starfish are posing a hazard to corals, remove them as soon as possible, although most likely this should not be the case. The parasitic stars do not come up often in the aquarium. Many would say that the stars are drawn to corals that are weak, stressed or dying due to other issues, which is something that the stars can most certainly "smell" and will act on long before we recognize that the corals are ill. If they are causing trouble in your system, then by remove them.
Graham

aarone

here is a deformed starfish, well its actually called a sun star found in the cold alaskan waters.