White Flakes?

acrylic300

I notice every once in a while my pump spits white flakes into the tank. Are these calcium deposits or what? Has anyone seen this before?

carshark

from my understanding it is precipitation. or it could be salt creep getting flushed when it accumulates. couldnt tell ya for sure.
better get some head and shoulders too much dandruff is unattractive

acrylic300

Now that I have all the leaks stopped I would rather not start tearing it apart. It's only two months old and I really hope it's not that maintanence intensive. Unless you think it will damage the pump? It's a pretty hardy pump (Iwaki 18.3 gpm). Please tell me that impeller cleaning is not routine.

descripe what the pump does in your tank? does if feed from a sump? Or its it a closed loop? Possible that anything is getting sucked up in it, and then getting shot out?

acrylic300

Actually the reason Im fairly certain that its not the impeller is because the water comes from the sump through the pump then pushes through an ocean canister filter.

Well that only leaves the outflow of the filter, and the pipe/hose that the flakes are coming from.
Crap, i really have no idea...can you "catch" one of the flakes to see it...really grasping at straws now......