Whitecheek Tang or Powder Brown Tang IN A 55 Gal Tank

scott t

I was just talking to my Cousin who lives AL online and He was telling me that His Wife's sister has 2 55 gal reef tanks set up. In one 55 she has 2 clowns Ocellaris, Whitecheek tang (been in the tank for 5 years), Mandarin, a blenny of some kind, and assorted soft corals. Other 55 she has 2 Perculas , Powder Brown Tang (Been in the tank for 3 1/2 years), Diamond Goby, and A few Wrasses, Anemone and assorted Corals.
How can this be I thought they were supposed to be in a 70+ gal tank. Is it possible for these tangs to be a 55 gal tank and Thrive?? I am just surprised at this, because he said she has no problems with them being in that size tank...

2quills

Survive, yes...thrive, I doubt it. Think of it like this...if you had to live the rest of your life cooped up...would you rather live in something the size of a walk in closet or in something the size of a nice comfortable living room?
I think Whitecheek and Powerbrown tangs are the same fish.

S

saxman

IMHO, i wouldn't keep even the smallest tang species in a tank < 6 feet long. tangs are swimmers, pure and simple. however, at least a 70 gal is 22" wide, even tho it's the same 48" length of a 55 gal, so there's at least some "circuit" room and 25" of height.
personally, we keep a lot of fish that are supposed to be OK in smaller setups do t their sedentary nature, but i find that even these fish will use all of the room you give them, and seem the better off for it.
after all, a person could live in a phone booth, but that doesn't mean they SHOULD.
JM .02...
I think Whitecheek and Powerbrown tangs are the same fish.
nope...they're different species.
Acanthurus japonicus = whitecheek (AKA powder brown)
Acanthurus nigricans
= powder brown (AKA gold-rimmed)

scott t

2Quills thats what I was thinking. There are 2 Different Fish, The Whitecheek is one and the Powder Brown is another. I was just like Wow they are supposed to be in a bigger tanks. I could see if she got them small and then up graded in a few years when it got to big for the 55 gal. I said to my Cousin , you need to tell her that they need to be in a bigger tank that is too small for them. Oh well, I guess some people dont listen...

2quills

Yeah...my bad. Somepeople also call the powderbrown a whitefaced surgeon. Guess that's what mixed me up.

scott t

Lol Its ok I get mixed up all the time.. There are so many fish and so much to remember about them. LOl Oh cant forget all the Corals, and Live Rock and what to feed and what not to feed... Lol This list of thing to remember is just so long in this hobby, that i am sure we all get mixed up at some point.. LOL