who has a first time reef

laredo300c

who out there is diving into reef from fo or fowlr ....lets share mistakes as well as success stories....pics if you got them....share what corals you are keeping being new to the hobby....

nigerbang

I had FOWLR for a while and am currently TRYING a reef...So far so good..I need to take some up to date pics...I might do that tonight

P

pasphotography

Fish and invert tanks so far but hae just added some Zoa's to one tank. I have one large colony of 50-60, and 4 frags with 6-12 on each. They seem do be doing great. Well see how things go over the next few weeks as ive only had the frags for just over a week and the large colony since Sat. I can post some pics this weekend when I get time to shoot some.

bemrocs

I have a FOWLR tank that is slowly becoming a reef tank. Fish keeping in general is new to me so I am going at a very slow pace. All that I have right now are some mushrooms. yes, I know, its quite pitiful. But we all have to start some where:)

mar1376

I may be the freshiest of us all. I had a patient that wanted to give away a 90 gallon tank with the stand/canopy/lights/sump/skimmer and base rock. So I took the plunge. A coworker and I went and rented a uhaul and of we went. I repayed her with a nice pom pom xenia
So my tank has been up for 2 weeks now. here is a pic.

azaintcold

I'm currently trying my first salt water tank, its a 150 gallon and I'm diving into a reef right off the bat.
The lessons learned so far:
1. Don't listen to LFS.
2. Crushed Coral = trouble.
3. Go with sand.
4. RO/DI only.
5. Lights are expensive, even the retro's.

Because of SWF.com I'm on the right track. Metal halides, traded in the canister for a custom built sump/refugium I'm making, and have live sand. Ordering a grip of live rock shortly.

coraldude

I have had FOWLR tanks for about 6 years. In Feb. I switched over to a reef tank after a power outage (while I was on vacation) killed all of my fish and inverts.
The biggest thing I have learned is beware of E.bay. There is so much crappy equipment for sale there. The skimmer I bought there was pictured as the Coralife, but I received a cheap made turbo queen.
It works after all the modifications I made. Also, go ahead and buy metal halide or T5 instead of PC. The website I purchased my PC fixture from said it would be good for SPS. After research and info from this site, I learned it is only good for soft corals. :mad:
Just make sure and do plenty of research BEFORE buying anything and it will save you alot of money and heartache.

ridomart

I've been into it for 2 years & still am lost. Have a 120 gal. long & wish I had bigger ( 250 ). Mine is not wide enougy, you should have 24 inches. Get the biggest you have room for. When you buy equipment buy the best you can afford. Be careful of wher you buy live stock from so you don't get unwanted BUGGS & such. Research Research Research & then do Research, here.

just kidding i have had great success with only slight failure. i was going with just fish and the more i went to the LFS, or saw pics of peoples tanks i want to make the switch. everything seems to be doing good. i just have had the best help/luck with the LFS. In my tank i have the basic begginer stuff, but the anemone i have was sold to me as a home for my clown. Not gonna happen. And a coral that was almost dead. but you live and you learn.

abethedog

I would offer the advice of ALWAYS doing a quaranteen tank, especially with Angels and Tangs.

I always end up yanking ALL of my live rock to chase down a ICH-RIDDEN fish.
Everytime I've been too excited to see new livestock in my display tank. Everytime I've introduced parasites into my tank.
My advice is: "Consider buying/setting up a QT BEFORE you buy any new fish." And, use the damn thing.
Hyposalinity works and does not introduce your fish to harsh conditions.
On the brightside, I've gotten pretty good at re-aquascaping after tearing everything down to catch a fish.

sleasia

I'm also starting a reef. I have a 200 fowlr and inverts and someone gave me a 150 so now I'm taking the plunge. I have a home made sump/filter, an asm-g 3 skimmer, and a chiller. I will be using t5 lighting (aquatinics constellation) but it is on back order and has not arrived yet. I auto top off with r/o water. I have some fish in qt now, some chromis and a lawnmower blenny and two sebae clowns. All of the fish in my 200 have been qt with hypo for 3-4 weeks and I cannot recommend qt'ing all fish enough. Especially in a reef tank...think about the pain it will be to catch fish with ich in such a tank...better not to introduce any from the start. here are the corals I have so far...only mushroom corals and leathers, because I don't have good lighting yet....

taznut

if u only want fish stay away from this site, way too many beautiful reefs here not to try it yourself, lol... if u are doing reef some of these guys are your best friends after a couple months...
1) dont listen to lfs
2) ls not cc (dont listen to lfs)
3) cc stars really arent reef safe (dont listen to lfs)
4) pay the $ for lighting now dont wait to up grade (dont listen to lfs, cp's are limited)
5) take ur time

mar1376

Originally Posted by taznut
if u only want fish stay away from this site, way too many beautiful reefs here not to try it yourself, lol... if u are doing reef some of these guys are your best friends after a couple months...
1) dont listen to lfs
2) ls not cc (dont listen to lfs)
3) cc stars really arent reef safe (dont listen to lfs)
4) pay the $ for lighting now dont wait to up grade (dont listen to lfs, cp's are limited)
5) take ur time
Hey Taz you forgot on number 5 don't listen to lfs