who has the rarest fish in their tank

speg

How are we gonna know how rare it is unless we are divers? Is the most expensive always the rarest?

speg

I found this when I did a google search..
"Clarion Angel is a beautiful rare Angelfish,
found almost exclusively around Clarion Island
in the eastern Pacific, SW of Baja California.
It is listed as endangered because the one island
is the only gene pool of the species.
Occasional wanderers elsewhere are presumed to
have originated at Clarion Island.
One man-made disaster could wipe them out."

swfishonly

they also say some rare fish are:
golden pygmy angel- $119
Goldflake angel- $295
Watanabei Angel Male- $295
Masked Swallowtail Angel- $150
Mitratus Butterfly- $295
Orange Garabaldi Damsel- Juvenile- $75
Golden Canary Moray- $295
Saddleback Grouper- $150
Rhino Scorpionfish- $595
Lunula Trigger- $495

gamedawg

Here's the list I put together, must be pretty rare to have these prices! Most expensive to least, none under $299. These are just from the new arrivals on a certain site, the rest of the fish don't have prices.
Blue Line Trigger Fish 499.00

Crosshatch Trigger Fish 399.99

Banded Angel 399.99

Christmas Island Golden Puffer 399.99

Broomtail Wrasse 299.99

Christmas Island Emporer Angel 299.99

Chrysaurus angel fish 299.99

nasotanker

i know a place in Jacksonville that has a Japanese Dragon Eel and is selling it for about $900. and it is a beautiful and scary-looking eel.

thegrog

I know of a place selling a Resplendent Pygmy Angelfish (Centropyge resplendens) for $900!!!!!!
Personally, I believe that all my fish are the rarest in any tank! There is only one of each in the entire world!!! And they are all mine!!!! each with it's own personality and traits.

reefman22

and can we get an inventory count on the "rarest fish of all time"?
<< i dont know what that had to do with it but its a new smiley so i wanted to try it

goldenboy

Otherwise known as a "Gem Tang"
Zebrasoma gemmatum (Valenciennes 1835), the Spotted Sailfin Tang. Well-named in the vernacular and science; that is, spotted and as rare, beautiful and expensive as a precious stone. This Indian Ocean endemic is rarely imported to the west, and what a shame. It is just as hardy as any of the Zebrasoma and a real beauty.

mr.p

:jumping: any rare fish like that they shouldn't even try to sell or capture them. They're are so many pretty fish that aren't rare right now, just leave those 1000 dollar fish in the ocean so hopefully they can repoduce and make more so they won't be 1000 bucks anymore. :happy:

lionfish99

How about this Rhinopias Scorpionfish sells for $799.99
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20040331221153/www.***********.com/images/products/large/p_73096_032304.jpg

gamedawg

I second that about the $1000 fishes. I stumbled upon a site that had a huge tank, and they had gotten as many different rare fish they could. They were so proud to own 3 different fish that are on the endangered list. It's pretty sad. It wouldn't be so bad if they had a pair of each, in case they will reproduce, but I have a feeling they wanted those fish so they can say they have them.

gamedawg

I did a search for "rarest saltwater fish" and that's one choice it gave me. It is a personal site, with some of the nemo crew cartoons on it, and lots of little pics. Below them it has the story on the tank. I will look for it again, hold on a sec.

gamedawg

Here's what they said:
"For our tank, we have selected some of the most rarest fish that exist. Starting with the clarion angel fish (the rarest of all the fishes) which can take years to show up at fish stores. To the conspic (the second rarest) and the chrysurus (the third rarest).
What makes these fish so rare are many things but primarily where the divers need to go to catch them. They are very far off shore, sometimes 250 miles off the Baja coast. In extreme seas, many times divers will go out to catch these fish and come back empty handed. When they do see them, they are extremely hard to catch because they are normally shy and they hide under rocks. They are not found in large schools like other fish, they are found swimming alone making them even harder to catch."
Did they ever wonder WHY these fish are not found in large schools, but only swimming alone?