Who here has been to Israel ?

jennythebugg

My folks were just given a 16 day trip to go and stay on a kibbutz and do mitzvahs all day. anyone been ? got any pointers? can my dad purchase a shofar there and bring it back on the plane or will he have to mail it?
and btw i get the house to myself(me and the kids that is) so
time to party lol

reefraff

If you hear what you think are firecrackers duck

My ex next door neighbor is going over in the spring with his church group. According to him things have actually been pretty mellow over there. My sister went through on a short stop about 10 years ago, she broght back stuff but it was mostly small. With the way airlines are raping people on the luggage I think it would be better to ship goodies home.

T

tizzo

I have never been but my dad in law has been and he took a billion pics. I want to go based on the pics. Their life revolves around their faith and it's admirable. Everything over there is thought out and deliberate. Since I've never been I cant give pointers, except to say to tell your folks to have LOTS of film!! Lots and lots of film!
Then you can post pics!

jennythebugg

from what i understand a mitzvah is a good deed or a charitable deed and a kibbutz is like i guess a lodging house of some sort - the shofar is a rams horn that they blow into like a bugle - i dont really understand it either - i attend my dads sunday service at the christian church , everyone else in the family(aunts uncles cousins) has gone messianic except my brothers and i

dragonzim

Originally Posted by jennythebugg
http:///forum/post/3154428
from what i understand a mitzvah is a good deed or a charitable deed and a kibbutz is like i guess a lodging house of some sort - the shofar is a rams horn that they blow into like a bugle - i dont really understand it either - i attend my dads sunday service at the christian church , everyone else in the family(aunts uncles cousins) has gone messianic except my brothers and i
A Kibbutz is more like a working farm that people live on than a boarding house. The Shofar is indeed a rams horn. It was traditionally used to bring the people together, whether for town gatherings or to defend the towns but these days it is more symbolic and used on specific holidays only. It is only supposed to be blown by someone that is trained to use it as far as I know.