Who is watching Hurricane Ike?

oceanlover

So who is watching Hurricane Ike (probably on the weather channel) while surfing this forum? I will fess up that I am. Thank goodness I live in California away from that wicked storm.

1knight164

+1 I'm a little south of you, Southern California. Next earthquake, everyone in Hurricane Country will be watching us.

lovethesea

glued.....I get totally engulfed with weather especially hurricanes. Imagine my surprise/horror one morning a few years ago, when my daughter (who loves weather too) comes running in from the balcony from the condo we were staying in Florida. (Hurricane Charley was screaming up the gulf at that time) "THE GUY FROM THE WEATHER CHANNEL IS STANDING ON OUR BEACH!!!!!!!!!!)
The excitment lasted briefly when we realized that Jim only goes where trouble is coming. About a few hours later mandatory evac orders came.
NOW...we did ride out a cat 1+ (winds about 85+ and pretty impressive storm surge) I wanted soooo badly to open the hurricane shutters and take a peek. But the pounding surf and shaking walls made me think different.
Katrina was the craziest. I was here in STL screaming at the TV for those people to GET OUT......I knew the layout of New Orleans and I knew they were in deep do do.
So, yes, we are glued at all times. Labor Day we were once again with Gustav totally obsessed.

A

alexmir

i am watching it from my window, its blowing trees EVERYWHERE, and has already knocked a few big limbs down, and it hasnt even really started yet.

oceanlover

I need to sleep so bad but can't turn off the Weather Channel. The pictures of Houston were SCARY! I've never been in a hurricane but have been in a 7.2 earthquake (over in just seconds).
Good luck to all of you in the hurricane's path!

T

tizzo

Oh Jim Cantori, yeah, he's my fav.
I'm a WC (weather channel) addict too.

Pitiful.
Made me mad yesterday to see pics of people on the beach with their KIDS while Ike is barrelling toward them.

scotts

Here in CA we say that it is not an "official" earthquake until we see Kate Hutton from Cal Tech on the TV. It is the same with hurricanes, it is not offiicial until we see Jim Cantori on TV.

We were watching last night and I told my wife there must be something hot about the weather chicks because they always seem to be pregnant.

scotts

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2755392
Made me mad yesterday to see pics of people on the beach with their KIDS while Ike is barrelling toward them.

Sadly we heard that one of the fatalities was a 10 year old that was hit by a tree branch. My wife said the parents might as well off themselves now because there is no way you could live with that guilt.

1knight164

Originally Posted by Scotts
http:///forum/post/2755461
Sadly we heard that one of the fatalities was a 10 year old that was hit by a tree branch. My wife said the parents might as well off themselves now because there is no way you could live with that guilt.

I heard the dad was cutting a tree down so it wouldn't fall on the house and it fell on the kid??? Anyone know if that's true??

salty blues

Originally Posted by OceanLover
http:///forum/post/2754935
So who is watching Hurricane Ike (probably on the weather channel) while surfing this forum? I will fess up that I am. Thank goodness I live in California away from that wicked storm.
I watched it all night long and part of today as the eastern arc of the storm came thru west central La. I just as soon not have had a front row seat.

nina&noah

Originally Posted by 1knight164
http:///forum/post/2755537
I heard the dad was cutting a tree down so it wouldn't fall on the house and it fell on the kid??? Anyone know if that's true??

Yes, it was a horrible tragic accident. That is exactly what happened.
My entire family lives in the Houston area. They said there were a lot of trees and fences down, but no structural damage in their parts of town. I don't know about my dad's house though. He was in an evacuation zone, so he hasn't seen his damage yet. If you are watching the reports, he lives right outside of Kemah. The city that is practically under water.

A

alexmir

alot of trees down, power lost in MOST houses, but my parents just got power, so were over here. My tank is running on a generator right now, so hopefullly it ends up making it fine.