who keeps discus?

wangotango

Anyone keep discus? They're going to be my next project over the summer, so I just wanted to get some pointers.
-Justin

alix2.0

when i was into freshwater i loooooved them. never had any though. they are awesome fish. post pics when you get them!

ophiura

Perhaps the FW equivalent of a reef tank in terms of attention to water parameters :)
But can be gorgeous in a calm planted tank. Very rewarding and relaxing, IMO

Generally -
Warm water
Low pH "blackwater" systems
Relatively low flow
Ideally a planted tank as they can be shy
Often not really brightly lit - or at least with some heavy plant growth to be diffuse.

ironeagle2006

I had a pair way back in the early 90's whan I had my first 150 gallon tank. They did ok with the tank set up I had low light lower flow heavyily planted however they loved to eat my other fish it seamed. My glowlights were a snack it seemed to them yet they would leave the Neons and Carnials alone never did figure that one out. Worst part was they died after I went on the road and my mom took over my tank care she forgot to feed them the diet needed and they never adapted to the regular food.

snakeblitz33

oo, I really enjoy discuss.
warm water
pH of 6.3 and stable
Get some floating plants, and some other plants to hide in. Live is most definately preferable.
They don't like a lot of flow, so maybe one very large filter.
Also - don't settle for the $20 discus, they are cr@- go with the 80-120$ discuss. The expensive ones are the "damsels" of the discuss world. In other words, very hardy.