who runs a calcium reactor?

kevin34

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about these? all i know is that they maintain calcium levels. how exactly do they work? and are there any downsides to them?

windlasher

Originally Posted by Kevin34
http:///forum/post/3078671
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about these? all i know is that they maintain calcium levels. how exactly do they work? and are there any downsides to them?
I dont know the details, but I bought one a few months ago because I got tired of dosing KALK. My prams are now always just about right on the money with normal variations.
Here is some info:
A calcium reactor maintains the level of calcium and alkalinity within a reef aquarium. More importantly, a reactor maintains the proper balance of calcium to alkalinity, which is critical over the longterm. Where calcification is concerned, these two values are intimately related (one affects the other, and vice versa). Most other methods of supplementation can lead to an undesired imbalance between calcium and alkalinity. Indeed, it is this imbalance that often lies at the heart of poor coral health.
Let’s examine how a calcium reactor works, in a bit more detail. The reactor itself is nothing more than a chamber that holds some sort of calcium-based substrate. At normal aquarium pH (7.9-8.3), this substrate is insoluable. At lower pH, however, the substrate dissolves, thereby freeing calcium and alkalinity ions so that they can be dripped back to the aquarium.
The pH inside the reactor is lowered by injecting a small amount of carbon dioxide gas into the water as it circulates through the chamber. In most cases, a pH between 6.5-6.7 will yield the best results. Too low a pH will quickly turn the substrate to mush, and too high a pH won’t dissolve the media.
As this acidic water circulates through the reactor at a very fast rate, two other processes take place. Raw aquarium water is slowly fed into the reactor, and at the same time, calcium and alkalinity-rich water is dripped back to the aquarium. These two processes take place at the same rate, so that the reactor doesn’t overflow or run dry. The rate of flow is very, very slow – just a few drips per second in most cases.

kevin34

thanks for that info. anyone know what the best thing to fill a reactor with is? and does your tank need to have a very low pH in order for the reactor to work?

windlasher

http:///forum/post/3078760
thanks for that info. anyone know what the best thing to fill a reactor with is? and does your tank need to have a very low pH in order for the reactor to work?%%
reactors maintain calcium and the like. you should not use it to raise it. you should get it to where you want it and then use a reactor to keep it there.
i love mine. my maintenance is so much less now... and my pocket about $900 lighter as well.
i have a large system though you probably wont need one as big as mine.
most stores sell Carib Sea ARM media (the standard) they sell large and small and your reactor should reccommend the one that works best for it.

kevin34

ya i just want one for the 55g aquaculturing tank i plan on setting up at the end of the summer.

windlasher

http:///forum/post/3078824
ya i just want one for the 55g aquaculturing tank i plan on setting up at the end of the summer.
one more thing...
DONT SKIMP. crappy needle valves, CO2 valves and hoses can make you life hell and kill your tank when your needle valves breaks and releases 10 pounds of Co2 into your tank. DO yer homework and buy the best one you can afford. I highly recommend getting one that can accommodate a PH meter that will turn the Co2 off if the power goes out, or the Co2 gets too high.