Who started out with Tap Water?

robchuck

I used tap (Lake Michigan source water) for quite awhile with no problems, other than I couldn't keep nitrates below 20. I moved about two years ago and kept using tap (same source water as old house-Lake Michigan), and about 9 months ago, I started seeing my nitrates creep up, even though I was doing water changes, and started to see nuisance algae. I bought a RO/DI unit about a month ago which came with a TDS meter; the tap at my new house read 540ppm! I've about got my hair algae trimmed back to nothing, and the only change I've made is switching to RO/DI water. In short, my experience is that using tap water is a real crapshoot. I used basically the same tap water, but in two different houses, and had two different results.

reefnut

Originally posted by PeteM
Reefnut, You're happy with your Typhoon III? I checked out that website and it also had the Typhoon II, for less money. It looks like the only difference is no pressure gauge for the II.

I'm very happy with it! I think the only difference between the Typhoon II and III is the III comes with the gauge and a TDS meter. The gauge is a good feature because the unit works best above 50psi and is overloaded at 75psi... with the gauge you can find a good safe pressure. This is similar with all RO units, they all have a min and max pressure to assure proper preformance. But most units do not come with pressure gauges.

jsb

I voted started using tap which no bad effects, but I have to say I used it to fill up, and a week or two of top off and water change, but after that I've been using RO.

mlt

I have used my well water for years in my freshwater tank and now for the past year in my saltwater tank with no problems. We have a water conditioner.

humuhumu

I used natural sea water in San Diego and Hawaii,
well water in Northern CA and now I use RO/DI (I won't even drink the water here). I've had good results from all of them.

petem

Is it easily installed by yourself or must you have a plumber do it? I guess all of you using the RO/DI water have convinced me. :joy:

rapt0r32

I have used Tap all along. Never had a problem. It does depend on your towns water. When I had my 125,55, and 35 they we all tap, now I just have a 55 and it is tap as well.
I have toyed with the idea of RO/DI water but its hard for me to fix something that isn't broke.

bheron

Whoa - I have some input here. I used tapwater to start my tank, and do topoffs. Had alot of algae b/c of the silicxates i think.
Anyway, the big problem is that i have a pretty good level of copper in my tap wtaer - not enough to be dangerous to huimans and for the water company to care, but way too much for fish. My fish were actually fine, but after six months of LR not thriving and anything (ANYTHING) invertebrate literally liquifying, I found this website. I couldnt even keep a snail b/c of the copper.
Even worse than that was the remedy for it. After researching for a couple of weeks, most people said its pretty much impossible to get rid of it in your tank - it is absorbed by the LR and could be released later. Some people even said it leeches into the silicone!
So, it was my one big mistake and led me to start completely all over again!!!!
Dont use it!

humuhumu

Pete,
I use Spectrapure 2000 Plus RO/DI, it is very simple to use as I imagin that most are. It simply screws on the tap like a garden hose on one end, and has a discharge hose and a pure water hose on the other. Use the pure water to fill your buckets or tank and the discharge to water the plants.