Who uses GFO and what "type?"

novahobbies

SInce Seth started the GAC thread, I thought I would continue the trend with this. Who among us regularly uses Granulated Ferric Oxide for Phosphate removal, and what kind do you use? Do you use a reactor or do you include it with your carbon, for instance a bag of chemipure elite?
To start, I'll say that I have used and will use the regular BRS GFO product, in a single upflow reactor for my reef tank. There have been reports of negative effects on seahorses with SOME brands of GFO, so I don't use it in my horse tanks.
How 'bout you??

snakeblitz33

I use about 2x the recommended amount of Rowaphos in a two little fishies reactor for my 20g nano. Seems to do pretty well with removing phosphate from the system. I have seen no ill effects in what livestock that I do have.

sweatervest13

I use the BRS GFO in their dual reactor. I am kind of up in the air about the results. I have had some nuisance brown algae on some rocks in the DT and a little on the sand bed. I have been running the GFO for several months. BUT... My T5 bulbs were just about a year old. So it may be from old bulbs. I have since turned off the T5's (I really do not want to buy new bulbs, I would rather put the almost $200.00 towards a cheap LED fixture) and I am waiting to see if the algae clears up a bit. I changed out the carbon and GFO at the same time I took the T5's offline. So time will tell.
I do find that the cartridge that holds the GFO in the reactor seems to clog up with the GFO particles. I do have the MJ1200 pump dialed back with the ball valve that comes with the reactor. I have read that you don't want it to "tumble" like crazy... just a little movement.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/392628/who-uses-gfo-and-what-type#post_3490441
I use the BRS GFO in their dual reactor. I am kind of up in the air about the results. I have had some nuisance brown algae on some rocks in the DT and a little on the sand bed. I have been running the GFO for several months. BUT... My T5 bulbs were just about a year old. So it may be from old bulbs. I have since turned off the T5's (I really do not want to buy new bulbs, I would rather put the almost $200.00 towards a cheap LED fixture) and I am waiting to see if the algae clears up a bit. I changed out the carbon and GFO at the same time I took the T5's offline. So time will tell.
I do find that the cartridge that holds the GFO in the reactor seems to clog up with the GFO particles. I do have the MJ1200 pump dialed back with the ball valve that comes with the reactor. I have read that you don't want it to "tumble" like crazy... just a little movement.
+1
I have the same BRS duel reactor...of all the stuff I have used to try and get rid of phosphates and nitrates...Macros work the best, with 100% results of 0 across the board.

1guydude

i will be getting a pellet reactor here soon hopefully :)
DIY one... thats wat u guys r talking bouts right> ?