Whoo Hoo

levinjac

YESS im going to get some live rock to start my reef out!!!! Question is how much should I get I have a 29 gallon bio CUBE and should I take out half of my dead rock and replace it with live rock this is coming from a buddys tank or should I repalce all the rock should I change my lighting I want to start out with only some polyps mushrooms a zoas I have a 10,000 watt bulb is this enough?

geoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinjac http:///forum/thread/380683/whoo-hoo#post_3313734
YESS im going to get some live rock to start my reef out!!!! Question is how much should I get I have a 29 gallon bio CUBE and should I take out half of my dead rock and replace it with live rock this is coming from a buddys tank or should I repalce all the rock should I change my lighting I want to start out with only some polyps mushrooms a zoas I have a 10,000 watt bulb is this enough?

Slow down Jake...

First you need to make certain the new rock is cycled. You do this so not to kill your fish off...

If the dead rock was live rock at one time then keep it and just add the live rock so it looks nice.

"10,000 watt bulb" You are not giving us all the info on your lighting. You must have a 10K bulb what is it's watts and what type of bulb T5-HO, power compacts, HOs? How many bulbs?

levinjac

Not certain just know brand its a compact flourecent strait pin arraingment 1 blue attinic 10k and 1 10,000K white light they are both 36 watts

geoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinjac http:///forum/thread/380683/whoo-hoo#post_3313767
Not certain just know brand its a compact flourecent strait pin arraingment 1 blue attinic 10k and 1 10,000K white light they are both 36 watts
Compact fluorescent = Power compacts
So there are two of them and it looks like there are 4 tubes yes/no?
There are all actinic blue bulbs, there are 50/50 bulbs where one is blue the other is 10K, and there are all 10K white bulbs.

You will be ok with low light corals with two 36 watt Compact fluorescent bulbs but if given the chance I would upgrade to As many T5-HO that you can fit over the tank...

btldreef

I believe you have the stock biocube lighting, right? If this is the case, you'll be able to keep zoanthids, polyps, mushrooms and most LPS (some may need to be placed higher in the tank).

As for the rock, I agree 100% with GeoJ.

levinjac

and ya 4 tubes and what else do I test i already test
PH
AMMONIA
Nitrates
Nitrites
Phosphates
Salinity

btldreef

If you're going to start corals, you need to also be checking your calcium and alkalinity and keep your temperature steady.

levinjac

mini bump how should I do the rocks and I have some kind of dead branch coral will it become alive again

btldreef

Yes, anything that was once live can become live again. I would remove half the rock from your tank and replace with CURED live rock. The live rock will seed your base/dead rock and everything will become live over time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by levinjac http:///forum/thread/380683/whoo-hoo#post_3314099
mini bump how should I do the rocks and I have some kind of dead branch coral will it become alive again