Why a nano?

zack schwartz

Why do you guys chose to have nanos? I was inspired a couple years back and figured I try it out. Boy am I happy, I love the small aspect along with the challenges you face and of course the diversion in tanks out there.
What about all of you??

zack schwartz

Ok guys i know this pic sucks, so does my camera or maybe just me. Anyway if yopu can see the creaves for the clams. This will be a clam only tank and be able to view from the top. I want it to mature a lot so clams are ready. I will be having clams 2.5" and smaller in there undert a 55 watt pc. DTS will be given a lot as smaller clams use dts as a mian food source. Need a couple more monehes but when i get them it will be awsome!
Pics of my 20 gallon hopefully this weekend! That has corals lol:D

reefnut

Well I don't have one yet but I've been doing some research and plan to have one soon. The main reason I want a nano is because... well I want a reef in my bed room :D. I like the look of nanos and it seems like fun.

justinx

I like the challange. I think that a nano reef is far more difficult to "do right" than any other size. There is such a small, scratch that, TINY margin of error in a nano that it can make things really hard. I do not think that a nano reef is a good idea for beginners because of this. A nano reef is for the truly dedicated aquariust. Just a small example, but on a 55 gallon, if you forget to top off one day, no big deal, do it tomorrow. In a 5 gallon, if you forget to top it will spell disaster.
But I think that they are great tanks, and can be a great challenge.

tiffster

I started mine because my husband and I thought it would not be a good idea to invest a few thousand dollars in a big tank and decide we (I) did not like to maintain it. We heard a lot of people say that they started and gave up, got frustrated, etc, etc.. Anyway, I couldn't imagine not having a reef tank now. We're now in the process of setting up a 55 and moving everybody! I think I may still keep my 10 gallon around though!:D

stupid_naso

I started mine because I don't have the money and space for a big tank. Wow, this board has changed a lot. I remember being flamed when I first said that I want to start with a 10 gal. Now it seems like everyone wants to try one.

N

newreefers

everyone said nanos are so hard, my 10 gal is much more stable than my 37 gal. The nano is full of corals, almost no more room in there and I love the look of it and the fact that it was less than $1000.00 total.

overanalyzer

started out asa prrof of concept - could I do it on such a small difficult to maintain setting? now that it is going well my goal is to have a tank in every room ..... shhh don't tell my wife- - right now both girls bedrooms and the basement and living room are next ....

overanalyzer

Originally posted by Zack Schwartz
Are you thinking about connecting them or are they to far apart?

Hmmm interesting idea - but no - no connections .... my handi work is not that good. though clear acrilicy tubes would be cool but I think I'd get served divorce papers for starting that project!!!
Basement tank will be a 75 gallon prop tank and the living room will be a bow front tank and our bedroom either a clown grow out tank or seahorse tank ....

zack schwartz

wow that sounds awsome, I would love to hear more when you have more ideas and all.
My dream is to have like 5 nano tanks all lined up with lots of differnt corals, like zoos and mushromms here, sps here, clam here ect ect :) :)