Why are the forums slowing down so much?

snakeblitz33

I'm Just curious. I know there are waxes and wanes in this hobby, but it seems like over the course of the last month, this site has really slowed down or almost grinded to a halt. I'm doing my "Snakes Methods" threads/articles to hopefully bring some new information and articles to this site.
What can we do to make this community better? What can we bring to the forum and to the site to make it stand out? What would you like to see done?

snakeblitz33

I know that I would like to see a live chat function and I would like to see the buy sell and trade section back. I think with so many limitations, we have to tip toe around the boards and it drives people away. But, I'm not going to make a whole big fuss about it. I just wanted to give my opinion.

snakeblitz33

I know. Sucks. I'm not trying to start anything. I'm just trying to figure out ways that the forum could improve. Limiting the forum so much drives people away to better forums. How can we improve the forums while still keepi g it family friendly?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The limitations that you describe is owner's decision, not moderator decision. Not allowing for practices that potentially opens the door to a flood of behind the scenes selling on a store website is what drives that decision. Basically, its been tried and SWF was stung. As a member of this community, however, I can certainly see the downside of not having those things available here.
I don't think keeping the forums family friendly really drives people away. This forum has always been family friendly.
I think hobby forums overall have taken a hit over the past couple years due to down slide of economy. Many people just can't afford this expense right now.

1guydude

Quote:
The limitations that you describe is owner's decision, not moderator decision. Not allowing for practices that potentially opens the door to a flood of behind the scenes selling on a store website is what drives that decision. Basically, its been tried and SWF was stung. As a member of this community, however, I can certainly see the downside of not having those things available here.
I don't think keeping the forums family friendly really drives people away. This forum has always been family friendly.
I think hobby forums overall has taken a hit over the past couple years due to downfall of economy. Many people just can't afford this expense right now.
Thats a pretty good take on it and i cant argue with it either!

jerth6932

I know since the new home page of SWF.com, they put the "message boards" down on the bottom in small print, instead of on the top tabs as before. I thought when they originally did it, for like a week, they had gotten rid of the boards, because I couldn't find it. I think that people are having a harder time finding the boards them self. ITS BEEN ABOUT A MONTH AS DESCRIBED BY SNAKE, since the change. I think its a relevant problem to the slow down.

2quills

This is nothing new, the frequent changes and "technical issues" that this site continually goes through has been an issue for quite some time and has definitely driven members away.

snakeblitz33

These forums have a potential to be great. That does not necessarily mean that a buying and selling forum has to operate. Just that a few changes need to take place. As a community of members, I think we should help give management some ideas for what would help the boards get new members and get them to remain active and contribute. I would think that the more active the community, the more s
ales swf.com can make.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/388778/why-are-the-forums-slowing-down-so-much#post_3430941
These forums have a potential to be great. That does not necessarily mean that a buying and selling forum has to operate. Just that a few changes need to take place. As a community of members, I think we should help give management some ideas for what would help the boards get new members and get them to remain active and contribute. I would think that the more active the community, the more s
ales swf.com can make.

You'd think. For the last 18 months or so since I came to this site there has always been a wave of members coming and going. Many, due in part from the economy, technical challenges and some who I am sure have just moved on. Fortunately I can say that with all of the changes that have been made around here I am happiest with the site the way it is now as long as they can keep glitches to a minimum. I like the idea of a members chat, room or rooms. The forums can be a tool for learning but they also seem to be a way for socializing. And I think a socialized environment can also be a place where people can feel comfortable and want to come to learn as a way of meet new people in the hobby. I believe the socializing of the tool is what this site needs to move forward without but without some of the vices that keep it held back. Like, for instance, the sharing of information by the linking to data from other sources on the net such as other forums as long and they're not stores themselves (directly) as well?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you have suggestions, by all means. Perhaps I should move this to the ASK SWF forum?

well im new to here and so far i like it for what thats worth lol im also another more active member on another forum but thats only because its local and in my state

gemmy

I have noticed that some members here seem to have a condescending or superiority tone towards newer members, which can be a big turn off.

btldreef

A lot of the "over moderation" is Scott's decision and we have to follow. That being said, we have tried to be advocates about certain issues, but we can't always win. Buying/Sellin/Trading just can't happen, it hurts SWF sales, after all, this site is ran by a store.
I have seen the condescending posts, they come in waves :-( Please flag them when you see them.
Jerth, you bring up a good point about the link to the message boards being moved.
The constant changes/tech issues drove a lot of people away as well.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I think the Message Board Tap on the SWF homepage should be returned there. Its the first areas that someone visiting the site sees. Wonder why that was changed? Mistake, in my view.