Why are the forums slowing down so much?

stdreb27

yawn, you know, I stopped posting on this board regularly, because the stuff I found interesting, no one else did. and the stuff that I didn't find interesting, people would drone on and on and on about. Now I just drone on and on about different stuff in the aquarium.

snakeblitz33

bump
I for one, would like to see more new information come to this site. A lot of what goes on here is repetition, repetition, repetition. There's not any really cool builds going on, and no one really trying anything new. How can we start getting members who have really cool tanks ... and appeal to them enough to make them stay?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
stdreb27, you stopped posting on this board regularly? You have multiple posts at SWF every day! LOL Maybe you meant that you are not a contributing member in the hobby related forums?
Snake, don't think we can get folks to make their tanks more interesting. Occasionally, we get someone who will do something awesome with a tank build, post up pictures, etc., but SWF basically appeals to the average hobbyist. What about your system?

meowzer

LOL...I have 5 tanks and I guess they are all boring :(
I am building a very large LED system.....it has been ongoing for a couple of months, and in the DIY section....check that out

S

smartorl

What about the awesome tanks in last months TOTM thread? In addition to Kiefer's tank that is absolutely beautiful, there were several other tanks that ran very close seconds.
Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, this is a hobby of repetition. It's not a hobby where you build something and walk away, it's very hands on and then repeat, repeat, repeat each day, lol.

snakeblitz33

I don't mean any disrespect to those people on this site that do have awesome tanks. There are several threads going on that I find interesting. But, more would be better,....

shogun323

I find it a little humorous that the first thing I see when I check back in is a thread about the forums being slow and things that should be changed. :)
1: IMO forums as a whole social platform seem to have slowed down simply due to social networking. All the various forums I am on have slowed down to a crawl because everyone has a FB account and meets up there. (Either that or I drive people away)
2: I always thought SWF did a great and fair job offering and managing the forums. Accept it for what it is peeps!!!
Oh and Hi everybody!!!!!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking he is referring to more involved setups that you don't really see every day, or maybe some unusual photo-documented builds with tanks in progress that goes beyond the typical set up. What makes these unusual and interesting, is that you don't see them every day, however, they come along every now and then.
Kiefers has an awesome tank, BTW. Good idea to start this contest up again. Also, Mike's reinstatement of the Fish of the Month project is great too. I think that will also evolve in to the Coral of the Month. Quality info topics, believe it or not, generates a lot of guest visits to SWF, and new memberships. I would think that some of those should also go into our permanent articles section. Guests visit SWF look for good info. Many browse for a long time before deciding to join. There are many more guests browsing SWF daily then active members. And many of those guests end up as SWF customers.

S

smartorl

Not being arguementative at all just pointing out the other side of the coin, we all need to keep in mind that to a newbie into the hobby, that first build is epic.
Whether its a 200 gallon reef or a 14 gallon nano, it's someone's baby. While some of us are sinking hundreds a month into our tank and kind of take it for granted, there are those that have to save for weeks to buy that special piece of live rock and are on Cloud 9 aquascaping their three rocks.
I have noticed that people tend to push past the person with the stripped down systems that have questions. Often these are the people that don't know the names of things and their questions may seen redundant. I will include myself in that as well. We tend to become snobs of sorts. Maybe we can all make it a point to pitch in a little more and be careful not to crap on someone elses dream.
We all started in the same place.

btldreef

Not being arguementative at all just pointing out the other side of the coin, we all need to keep in mind that to a newbie into the hobby, that first build is epic.

Whether its a 200 gallon reef or a 14 gallon nano, it's someone's baby. While some of us are sinking hundreds a month into our tank and kind of take it for granted, there are those that have to save for weeks to buy that special piece of live rock and are on Cloud 9 aquascaping their three rocks.

I have noticed that people tend to push past the person with the stripped down systems that have questions. Often these are the people that don't know the names of things and their questions may seen redundant. I will include myself in that as well. We tend to become snobs of sorts. Maybe we can all make it a point to pitch in a little more and be careful not to crap on someone elses dream.

We all started in the same place.
Very well said!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That is a good point when considering how to make this forum a better place for all, or increase activity to the forums. This is the place for new hobbyists, more-so then some of the other top forums out there. SWF as never had a problem attracting new hobbyists. Keeping the more experienced hobbyists here has sometimes been a more challenging endeavor.

bubblegurl

As a newbie to the hobby (going on 8 months) and to the site, I have noticed a few things about posts/ers on this site. There is a very dedicated group here that are obviously very tight knit, which I think is totally awesome how these friendships have formed and flourished as a result of this amazing hobby. There are folks who are always quick to welcome the newbies to the board and encourage their questions and keep coming back. I have found the "experts" about certain fishes, corals, water parameters and problem solvers, etc. I love that I can search the forum on a topic and find related threads to browse through, before asking questions that may be redundant to those that have been here a while. I've learned a lot from this site since joining, have learned to relax and not take things sooooo seriously all the time. My tank is still a work in progress and can't wait to post a one year pic. That said, I do find that when one of the lets call em "oldies" (and I mean absolutely no disrespect), posts a question regarding their tank, they tend to get a flurry of responses, whereas a newbie can post almost the same question, and get one or two. (I say this from a recent post I made regarding restocking my tank). I've moved to a local forum, which I find amazing for a number of reasons, buy/trade livestock and equipment, local help and I've now met quite a few reefers whereas I didn't know a soul previously. I don't think SWF needs to allow for this type of activity as even with the local reefers, most are not willing to ship any distance. The forum is not hosted by a sales site, it is sponsored by a number of different LFS, manufacturers etc, therefore the format is obviously much different than a site like SWF. I understand repeating the same thing over and over and over to newbies gets tiring, but for all the help I've received with my questions, I can't thank this site enough. Maybe as an "oldie", offering someone help at stages and then seeing their "build" over time could be seen as just as exciting! Sometimes this site seems a bit cliquey and while I'm sure its not intentional, as a newbie, it can be a wee bit intimidating. You are all a great bunch of folks, I think, just keep doing what you are doing!!

S

smartorl

I remember feeling the same way when I first came here. Even though I had been in the hobby many years, I am more of a "thingie' person than technical terms and sometimes I felt really stupid compared to many of the members. I think this is true of many of the forums though that stand the test of time, they have a stong base, perhaps not a large one but a loyal one. I think this forum is one of those especially all the old members who pop back in from time to time. It's like a comfortable pair of shoes.
When I started here, Miamiheat was on all the time and close to me geographically and a character to boot and he would kind of engage the newer people (probably all people, lol). He would encourage people to be active. His advice, like a rowdy family, you either jump in or you get ignored. SWF is a rowdy family, lol.
I, for one, will put forth more of an effort to be more engaged. I am not an expert, I still refer to "thingies" but I do feel that I have some practical knowledge that could help out. We can complain all day about the reasons why the forum is struggling but in doing only that, we are part of the problem.

meowzer

"thingy's" LOL.....Henry (Spanko) made fun of me when I used that term....haha...I am not a techy either.....

bubblegurl

I remember feeling the same way when I first came here. Even though I had been in the hobby many years, I am more of a "thingie' person than technical terms and sometimes I felt really stupid compared to many of the members. I think this is true of many of the forums though that stand the test of time, they have a stong base, perhaps not a large one but a loyal one. I think this forum is one of those especially all the old members who pop back in from time to time. It's like a comfortable pair of shoes.

When I started here, Miamiheat was on all the time and close to me geographically and a character to boot and he would kind of engage the newer people (probably all people, lol). He would encourage people to be active. His advice, like a rowdy family, you either jump in or you get ignored. SWF is a rowdy family, lol.

I, for one, will put forth more of an effort to be more engaged. I am not an expert, I still refer to "thingies" but I do feel that I have some practical knowledge that could help out. We can complain all day about the reasons why the forum is struggling but in doing only that, we are part of the problem.
I thought the same thing about being more engaged right after I submitted my comment. Of course everyone needs to be more active to feel engaged, including newbs like me. I am def a "thingy" type person as well, I do find that I search more than ask and as I haven't found a question that hasn't been answered already, tend to stay quiet.....I think people will come and go from any forum, for some it can be a fun novelty for a time then they move on. I used to be on facebook all the time, now I barely check it. Also the more people I meet locally, the easy it is to speak to them directly.
I wasn't complaining, I was only offering my thoughts and they were not meant to be offensive. I think the purpose here is to find ways of keeping people around which means knowing what drives them away.
Cheers!

michaeltx

I have noticed a trend that last couple of days I go to the new posts instead of the actual forum and I know have to go to the middle of the second page the last couple days. Before that they were all on the first page. so its starting to pick up I hope the trend continues that way.
Mike

michaeltx

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartorl http:///t/388778/why-are-the-forums-slowing-down-so-much/80#post_3432388
you can call whatever you want a thingy. I refer to some things as a thinga-ma-gig sometimes too ;-Þ LOL

darthtang aw

sure, give the masses what they want. a chat room. one day of myself in it and they will be begging for it's closure.
darth (chat rooms are so AOL 1.5) Tang

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/388778/why-are-the-forums-slowing-down-so-much/80#post_3432598
sure, give the masses what they want. a chat room. one day of myself in it and they will be begging for it's closure.
darth (chat rooms are so AOL 1.5) Tang
Yeah I think we pretty much figured that out 5 pages ago that it probably wouldn't be a good idea lol. A quick instant chat though wouldn't be so bad, it's a little more personal than pm's, which depending on which side of the fence your on may or may not be so instant.

reefraff

I think dedicating one of the advertising panes to a live web cam set up for stage two at Trixy's pole lounge might draw some attention........
They could try thread of the month contests. Give out a store credit to the winner each month.