1 Royal Gramma
1 Purple Firefish
1 Blood shrimp
Every fish I have added after that have all died. They are:
3 different sixline wrasses
lemonpeel
flame angel.
2 Cleaner shrimp
They never die during acclimation, always about a month after I add them.
2 of them died due to a spike because I didn't do a WC. That was my fault, but I dont understand what happened to everyone else, and I also don't get why only new fish are affected.
The clowns and firefish are peaceful. The gramma is a little feisty towards newcomers, but he's not that bad. He's usually just bad for a few days. And he picks on my firefish all the time, but never does any damage. Besides that, 6 lines and angels would be able to hold their own against a small gramma so I doubt it's him killing them.
The 4 fish I have now are from 3 different LFS's
All but two (the two that died because of my mistake) were purchased from 1 specific LFS. This store seems very well taken care of, knowledgable staff, and clean.
I really trust that place, but I'm wondreing if it's their stock.
Is it possible that I could purchase these fish from them, they can survive for a about a month, and then die because of the LFS? Or do you think it's all my fault?
I like that place and I'd hate to stop shopping there if it's not a problem w/ their stock and it's just my fault.
The main thing that confuses me is the fact that it's only the new ones that die.
What do you think?

spanko

How do you acclimate?
How long ar the fish in the store before you buy them?
Why not try a different store and see if you have different results?

woody189

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2953915
How do you acclimate?
How long ar the fish in the store before you buy them?
Why not try a different store and see if you have different results?
I always thought that if a fish is acclimated too quickly, they will die soon. I know inverts like stars can die up to a month later though. being as though they live for weeks/months, I'm guessing it's not acclimation.
But, I usually drip acclimate for 1.5 hours.
This is my 1st tank, and I'm pretty busy, so I don't have the best habits, but I think I take care of it good enough to not have these losses.
How long do are they in the store?---that may be a problem. I usually don't wait that long at all, a couple days. I don't buy them as soon as they receive them, but I don't wait too long either. The Flame was only there for 1 day though. But I asked them to feed it, and he ate and the LFS guy said as long as he's eating it should be alright.
I currenlty have 60$ in credit at this store (from Christmas). so i keep going back there.
I'm just wondering if it's possible that it's the store. IDK what sort of problem the store could have that would lead their fish to die after a month. I would think if there was a problem, then the fish would die soon..

jackri

What are your water parameters now and at the time of the deaths?
What kind of filtration? Fish disease free? Eating well? Lots of variables can be involved without knowing much more but could be lots of things... including just bad luck.

woody189

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/2954008
What are your water parameters now and at the time of the deaths?
What kind of filtration? Fish disease free? Eating well? Lots of variables can be involved without knowing much more but could be lots of things... including just bad luck.
Yesterday they were:
ammon-0
nitrates-20
trites- IDK...kit ran out
PH-8.2
temp 80-82
SG-1.027-.028
I just lost the flame this morning. He's been sluggish for a few days. The he was too weak to fight the flow from the powerhead. The PH was pushing him against the rocks and he couldn't move, this was a few days ago.
I believe they are all disease free. I don't QT them like I know I should. All the remaining eat well.
THe flame never ate too much though. i fed all frozen: Brine w/ spirulina, mysis, and marine cuisine. The flame ate a little, but I just thoght maybe he was getting most of his diet from grazing algae which he would do all day long.
I've been running a skimmer and canister filter (which I maintained properly) since I started the tank (1yr). Last 2 weeks I ditched the canister and installed a sump/fuge. During the last 2 weeks, my skimmer was off a lot of the time, meaning no mechanical filtrations (I was trying to set up the overflow, sump and everything).
It's all been running good for about 5 days now.

nycbob

ur sg is a bit high. test ur nitrite since they r lethal if present. any pic of ur tank? the flame angel wont do well in a 46 with that little rocks. it needs special diet. if this is a tank less than 6 months old, then imo its still not at all stable.

tank a holic

i assume you use a hydrometer, i would use a refractometer, sometimes hydro's test low, and your number is already high, so your salt may be way high, also there may be different opinions out there but i'd lower the temp 2-4 degrees

roberteb

Originally Posted by tank a holic
http:///forum/post/2954252
i assume you use a hydrometer, i would use a refractometer, sometimes hydro's test low, and your number is already high, so your salt may be way high, also there may be different opinions out there but i'd lower the temp 2-4 degrees

+1

naclh2o nut

You said you have a store credit at the store, are they giving your credit for your losses after a month? I would see if they would hold your next purchase for awhile longer just to see how it does before you put it in your tank. My lfs has a 200 gal set up that he will put sold fish in until your ready. Not too many people will use it, they are in a hurry to see the fishy in their tank,
patience is the hardest part of this hobby.

kas2247

I agree that if it's a newer setup it just may not be stable yet. I lost literally everything (fish, shrimp, crabs, stars, everything) that I tried to put into mine for the first year or so... it wasn't always right away, a lot of them lived for a month or two or three then would die. But this past year, almost everything (new and old) has lived with very few problems. I couldn't even get really easy corals to live for the first year and a half and now I have a piece of SPS growing like crazy and 2 different anemones living very happily. I've never understood how people could put corals in right after the cycle and get them to live! It's not fair!

How many are you adding at a time when you put new fish in? I'd definitely stick to only one. And maybe, if all the fish that are in there now are doing ok, you should just leave it alone for a few months and let them coexist and continue to stabilize your tank. It couldn't hurt to try...
I'd also lower the salt levels a bit. I generally keep mine around 1.025 and no higher than 1.026. Coming from the LFS where they usually keep theirs really low to avoid disease, then going into yours that is much higher, could be shocking them... even with drip acclimation.

woody189

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/2954150
ur sg is a bit high. test ur nitrite since they r lethal if present. any pic of ur tank? the flame angel wont do well in a 46 with that little rocks. it needs special diet. if this is a tank less than 6 months old, then imo its still not at all stable.
I usually keep SG at .027, but sometimes it gets to .028 if I don't topoff on time. I didn't realize .027 was that high, so I'll be sure to lower it. I thought 45 Lbs of rock was enough, is it really not? My tank has been running since last feb, so 1 yr now.
Originally Posted by tank a holic
http:///forum/post/2954252

I need to take my water to LFS to test the salt and make sure I'm at least in the right ballpark w/ my hydro
Originally Posted by NaClH2O Nut

http:///forum/post/2954856
You said you have a store credit at the store, are they giving your credit for your losses after a month? I would see if they would hold your next purchase for awhile longer just to see how it does before you put it in your tank. My lfs has a 200 gal set up that he will put sold fish in until your ready. Not too many people will use it, they are in a hurry to see the fishy in their tank,
patience is the hardest part of this hobby.
I dont' think any LFS will credit you for purchases that die after a month. At least none around here. I'll do that whole having them hold it thing though.
Originally Posted by kas2247

http:///forum/post/2954905
I agree that if it's a newer setup it just may not be stable yet. I lost literally everything (fish, shrimp, crabs, stars, everything) that I tried to put into mine for the first year or so... it wasn't always right away, a lot of them lived for a month or two or three then would die. But this past year, almost everything (new and old) has lived with very few problems. I couldn't even get really easy corals to live for the first year and a half and now I have a piece of SPS growing like crazy and 2 different anemones living very happily. I've never understood how people could put corals in right after the cycle and get them to live! It's not fair!

How many are you adding at a time when you put new fish in? I'd definitely stick to only one. And maybe, if all the fish that are in there now are doing ok, you should just leave it alone for a few months and let them coexist and continue to stabilize your tank. It couldn't hurt to try...
I'd also lower the salt levels a bit. I generally keep mine around 1.025 and no higher than 1.026. Coming from the LFS where they usually keep theirs really low to avoid disease, then going into yours that is much higher, could be shocking them... even with drip acclimation.
I'm glad your tank is doing better now. I'll lower the SG, and look into lowering temp. I only add 1 fish at a time, the only time I added 2 were my clowns together. Other than that, a month gap between fish minimum.
Thanks for the responses.
What do you guys think:
Should I keep shopping at same store?
Should I lower my temp a few degrees?
Is 45 Lbs rock enough for a flame?