Why do all the good threads get locked?

phixer

What has changed from a year ago? Are people just more vicious now or less tolerant? I think its interesting to know what direction we are going in.

michaeltx

In those threads you probably DIDNT see the deleted Posts we had to take out. after so many it gets old to tell people to act right and the thread is closed. Others are not age friendly and their are children that frequent this board so adult orieted threads are AUTO deleted by the mods before they even get started and even more that are being reported to mods to take a look at.
The best thing to make sure a thread doesnt get locked and or deleted is for people to remember that this site is acessible by anyone and to act and respond appropriatly. Would you say this in front of a 10 year old standing beside you or would you have this coversion in front of one then dont bring it here and dont type it.
HTH
Mike

1journeyman

I believe the forum is going in the same direction it has always gone in; to provide an informative and educational site to promote the SW fish hobby.
The ONLY forum that consistently has threads deleted is the "Aquarium". Frankly the direction of the forum certainly can't be determined based on the threads deleted here. Good Heavens, I'm sure SWF would not like there forum judged solely on what is posted here.
The "aquarium" has become a camping ground for some posters. As such the line gets pushed and pushed until we have to crack down.

phixer

Baby sitting really. It has to get old after awhile. Ive seen programs that automatically delete pre-selected key words due to content violations. The same programs big brother uses. Some times I wish we had it here. It would cut down on the personal attacks which seem to stem from desperation due to a lack of facts. It's easier to just say "Im wrong". But nobody does that anymore.

michaeltx

there are alot of auto censor words that are listed in a database but as far deleteing threads automaticaly it looses the human touch and all. Sometimes a thread isnt what it seems at all and alot of threads would be deleted for no reason.
I have seen sites that use this type of software and it didnt turn out pretty in fact a lot of valid threads were deleted because it contained a auto delete thread word. So IMO its not a good answer. The best answer is for everyone to remember who reads and has access to the board.
Mike

anubisxero

Originally Posted by Phixer
Im surprised at what some parents let their 10 yr olds get away with.
It's just like homeland security..your first line of defense starts at HOME.
I really wish more parents understood that. But sadly, such things fall on deaf ears.

anubisxero

Originally Posted by Phixer
What has changed from a year ago? Are people just more vicious now or less tolerant? I think its interesting to know what direction we are going in.
As for the main question..whether people are more vicious or are others less tolerant. I'd like to think people who troll or look for fights will always be just that way so I don't think that's changed or ever will, as for less tolerant..I'd say people get chances and places dole them out accordingly, but if certain circumstances usually prove themselves to turn out in the wrong way then I think the best option is to nip the problem in the bud. yanno, before it starts.
Just my 2.

sepulatian

Phixer, it isn't so much the title or content of the thread (unless it is offensive itself) it is the people that take threads too far. They get offensive, rude, foul language, way of topic, no point at all being made anymore, ect. These boards are ment to be a friendly environment for people to come and ask questions about their fish. The aquarium is a fun board for "off topic" discussions. That does not mean it is free reign to discuss whatever off the wall offensive topic available. This is still a private forum and it still has to comply with SWF rules and regulatons.

lazypinoy

wait? there are kids on these forums? since when did kids have money to afford saltwater tanks?? o man if i find out ive been taking advise from a 11 year old...then 0_0

laurie01

Originally Posted by LazyPinoy
wait? there are kids on these forums? since when did kids have money to afford saltwater tanks?? o man if i find out ive been taking advise from a 11 year old...then 0_0
Remember that it's always possible for that 11 year old (or 12 or 13 or how ever old) to have much more experience keeping saltwater tanks that you or I do. That's my approach. Yes, there are minors on here; but since I don't have that much experience yet, they may very well have a lot more experience with this than I do. A lot of children also have the support of their parents (financially and otherwise).
(Sorry, I couldn't tell from your message whether you were joking or not.)

reefkprz

just an observation on auto deletion
Ive seen on other forums where you could type "who are you?" and the first word plus ar would get deleted because though its an Idle harmless question the letter combination = a naughty word, so all you would see "e you?" make for tough typeing...

pontius

sometimes threads need to be closed. but what gets me is when the moderator gives their opinion on the subject and THEN closes the thread. that looks very childish, like the moderator is wanting to have the final say on the subject. one of the more recent topics, probably the one that Phixer is talking about, the moderator actually took the time to write 3 paragraphs about his/her opinion on the subject and then closed it off in the very same post with "this thread doesn't look like it's going anywhere productive" and closed the thread. that, to me, is pretty bushleague. if the thread isn't going anywhere productive, why did the moderator write out 3 paragraphs on his/her opinion before closing it? looked to me like he wanted to get his own opinion in and then lock it off before anybody could challenge his opinion.

bigarn

With all due respect for the work the mods do, I do agree with Pontius on this. If a mod feels a thread should be locked they should just state the reason for doing so. By adding their opinion on a topic like it's Gospel and then locking the thread down does not come off well .... just my opinion.

rylan1

I'd say just keep it PG
There are plenty of ways to discuss a topic and not disrespecting anyone or using inappropriate language. Just keep in mind that there are young teens who view this site - we should encourage educational/informational topical discussions about the world in general , but again we need to lead by example and show that these can be done in civilized ways regardless of our different opnions. There are other sites/blogs you can visit if you don't want to follow the rules of this site.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by Pontius
. but what gets me is when the moderator gives their opinion on the subject and THEN closes the thread. that looks very childish, like the moderator is wanting to have the final say on the subject.
And then, if we just closed it without explaining, you and others will be here complaining because you don't know why it was closed and you feel like you should know. There is no winning, because someone always has another opinion about what moderators should do. Perhaps if the Aquarium was shut down altogether, that would solve most of problems. :thinking:

imurnamine

Immature, self-absorbed/self-righteous topics get locked.
Especially when your definition of a 'good topic' is one where people are getting bashed.

pontius

Originally Posted by Beth
And then, if we just closed it without explaining, you and others will be here complaining because you don't know why it was closed and you feel like you should know. There is no winning, because someone always has another opinion about what moderators should do. Perhaps if the Aquarium was shut down altogether, that would solve most of problems. :thinking:

no, I think you're misunderstanding. if the moderator had written only "this doesn't look like it's going anywhere productive" and then locked the thread, I would have no problem whatsoever. what the particular moderator did was write out 3 paragraphs of their own opinion as if it were the final be all, end all opinion on the subject, and then locked it so that no one could respond. that's the problem I have. if the thread was going nowhere productive, why did the moderator post their opinion of the subject?
and no, *I* wouldn't be on here complaining if the thread were closed with little or no explanation, because anyone with common sense could see where that thread was going and that it probably needed to be closed. in over 3 years on this site, I've never once complained about such stuff as threads being closed or how moderators handle things, just this one particular incident irked me because I don't see why a moderator would post a 3 paragraph opinion on something they intend to close so no one else can respond. it just seems there are 1 or 2 moderators who for whatever reason have let things go to their head. I like the aquarium forum, but the way things have gone over the past few months, maybe it SHOULD be closed down. some of the problem is with posters, but some of it is with overzealous moderators.
mind you Beth, I've never had a problem with you or Guy, or most of the others. there's just 1 or 2 that I'm completely baffled on how they were ever asked to be moderators. not that I have any interest in doing it, but I personally feel Dogstar or Bigarn would be a great moderator, perhaps a better choice than some

S

sudc

Originally Posted by Pontius
no, I think you're misunderstanding. if the moderator had written only "this doesn't look like it's going anywhere productive" and then locked the thread, I would have no problem whatsoever. what the particular moderator did was write out 3 paragraphs of their own opinion as if it were the final be all, end all opinion on the subject, and then locked it so that no one could respond. that's the problem I have. if the thread was going nowhere productive, why did the moderator post their opinion of the subject?
and no, *I* wouldn't be on here complaining if the thread were closed with little or no explanation, because anyone with common sense could see where that thread was going and that it probably needed to be closed. in over 3 years on this site, I've never once complained about such stuff as threads being closed or how moderators handle things, just this one particular incident irked me because I don't see why a moderator would post a 3 paragraph opinion on something they intend to close so no one else can respond. it just seems there are 1 or 2 moderators who for whatever reason have let things go to their head. I like the aquarium forum, but the way things have gone over the past few months, maybe it SHOULD be closed down. some of the problem is with posters, but some of it is with overzealous moderators.
mind you Beth, I've never had a problem with you or Guy, or most of the others. there's just 1 or 2 that I'm completely baffled on how they were ever asked to be moderators. not that I have any interest in doing it, but I personally feel Dogstar or Bigarn would be a great moderator, perhaps a better choice than some